starting strength gym

Thread: first injury

Default first injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'm 33 and have been training for a couple of months. Three weeks ago I injured the left side of my torso twisting my body to do my final rep on overhead press, as I'd pushed the bar too far from my face.

The pain runs from the left front of my torso just under my ribcage and round the side to my left back. It only hurts badly when I cough or sneeze, but other than that just feels like I've pulled some muscles.

Because it didn't seem too bad I carried on as normal for the next two weeks. I rested the deadlifts and cleans after a bit, and it only really hurt when doing chins and when bringing the bar back down on the press. But then a week ago (after squats, bench and back extensions) it really hurt when I got back home.

So now I'm planning to rest it until it feels better and start again from scratch. Also I assume the starr rehab thing wouldn't apply to this situation? And no point seeing the doctor?

Please let me know if I'm wrong on this or if you have any other tips.

cheers,
    Ben

Could be either your transverse abdominals or obliques. Some direct work to the abdominals performed at a high rep-range would be one approach. As far as the other exercises, find the ones that aggravate the injury the least and perform them to tolerance. That's how I would handle it, personally. You do what you think is best. Others will have advice, I'm sure.

-Stacey

Transverse abs

Internal obliques

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that.

cheers,
    Ben