starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't filmed myself doing squats for awhile so I figured it might be a good idea to get a refreshed opinion on them. It's difficult training alone all the time, you really miss out on opportunities for real time feedback.

In any case, here's the first two sets of me low bar squatting 330x5 this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rO8TJmo_4

A couple observations / things to note:

1) I am aware that I am not looking down. I seemed to pick up this nasty habit ever since I started using my new belt.

2) I am slightly disturbed by what looks like a very vertical shin angle. I never realized I squatted like this? Or is the crappy angle at which I'm filming the issue?

Any thoughts or comments?

Those look like damn fine squats to me. The vertical shin is a mark of the low bar squat IMO--something to do with sticking your ass out and shoving your knees out. To have your shin at more of an angle would mean knees sliding forward.

I see you are in Dallas. I live in Plano. Where do you train?

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Those look like damn fine squats to me. The vertical shin is a mark of the low bar squat IMO--something to do with sticking your ass out and shoving your knees out. To have your shin at more of an angle would mean knees sliding forward.

I see you are in Dallas. I live in Plano. Where do you train?
    The low bar squat has more vertical shins at a given stance width than a high bar or front squat, but aside from anthropometry, somewhat vertical shins is usually indicative of a fairly wide stance and/or sitting way too far back (which isn't happening here since his torso is clearly pretty upright).

To the OP: how wide are you going? Can't really see from this angle. Either way, it appears to be working for you, so...

You're right, I should have more vertical shins with a low bar squat, somehow in my head I got sort of mixed up. But if I recall correctly, my knee should be somewhat slightly ahead of my toes, correct? I guess you can't really tell with the video, but it doesn't seem like it's the case.

misspelledgeoff -When I am in town I bounce between training at Gold's Gym in Uptown or Golds Gym in Garland. How about you?

blowdpanis - I'd like to think I'm about shoulder width apart, but I'm bad at self-assessing. I visited Rip at WFAC once a little over a year ago and I was way off the mark in terms of stance. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off the mark still.