starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming question for GF

Question Programming question for GF

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone, ive got a question for my girlfriend. She's been working out for a while now, and decided to have her run something VERY similar to SS. Basically she works out 3x per week, and alternates between two workouts.

A-

Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

B-

Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pullup 3xfailure

So she is doing equal amounts of both workouts. Today she stalled on her first exercise which was Press; no surprise. She got 60lbs for 3x3. Now im sure this is addressed in Practical Programming, but im still waiting on it to arrive. So, ive thought of three possible options to continue her progression.

1) Bench 2x per week, and Press on wednesdays. She'll get more recovery between pressing sessions, and more work on Bench.

2) Just deload the Press to 50 and build back up and hope to make and surpass 60lbs.

3) Switch to the Texas method for pressing only. Now im not sure how this would work, because as far as I can tell, the Texas method does not alternate movements.

So she would do:

M: Press 5x5
    W: Press 3x3 (10% less weight)
    F: Press build to a 1,3,5 RM.

This was my initial intention, but then she isn't going to be benching in there at all. So im not sure.

Which option is best?

How much weight has she been adding to the press each workout?

Have you tried microloading?

hmm, tough question. need pics before we can really say.

Don't move into intermediate territory at the sign of the first stall. Microload the press. Even a 1 lb improvement is progress. Same with the bench. Eat and sleep more. The Onus Wunstler program in the back of SS is good and should be used. One week you press twice, one week you bench twice. Once those deads get heavy, she won't be able to do them every other workout.

I'm no expert, but I think you're jumping the gun here with this shift to intermediate training so soon. There's always a deload and microloading to be done before then.

Recently there was a suggestion to do the press as 5x3 instead of 3x5. Perhaps that will work for her.

Brian

The book tells you what to do, silly. First, failing once is not stalling. If she fails again, deload 10% and work back up. By the way, for a woman, 1# might be the right interval to increment. That advice should last you until you get the book.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

We HAVEN'T been microloading, (mainly because I dont have smaller plates) so the smallest increment shes been able to go up has been 5lbs. I thought of using weighted collars instead of clips, but I think those are probably gonna equal 5lbs as well.

For now, I guess i'll have her drop to 55lbs and go to 5x3 and build back up.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    well, okay, no wonder she failed at 60, then. Seriously, go to the hardware store, get some washers, and instead of failing at 60 again, load to 56 or something. You can even use multiple spring collars to increase weight, figure out how much they weigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast