starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat/Deadlift Form Check (Multiple Angles)

Default Squat/Deadlift Form Check (Multiple Angles)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting some pretty crappy lower back pain from squats, and I can't seem to get over it. Squats are basically a question of whether I want lower back pain or hip pain or knee pain right now, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I took them from a few different angles so it would be easy to see what's going on. Maybe other people will find it useful too.

Also I'm aware that I'm not looking down, I didn't realize until after the vid was taken. But I've since started looking down and the lower back pain hasn't stopped.

Squat from an angle (probably best overall angle shot):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Y85DySCOM
    Crapped out on the last rep as this was like the 6th take and I started to get tired.

Squat from the side:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSkGbXsnpg

Squat from the back (rotates around):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-m_oawoZw
    Sorry for the gratuitous ass shot, I wanted to make sure my lower back was visible

Deadlift shot 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkwAHvhU7g

Deadlift shot 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_df5ddGxw
    I am aware that I am wearing a stupid looking blue camo colored belt, but it's all they had

Anyway, that's it. If you have any advice, would be appreciated. Thanks

I would suggest not looking around while performing the DL, your neck will thank you for that.

IPB

Maybe it's just the camera angle and the baggy clothes, but the last squat set looked dramatically different than the first two. On the first two it looked like you were sitting back so far that you had a major butt wink and still didn't hit parallel, your shins were completely vertical, something that makes it very tough to get deep enough unless you squat really wide or have short femurs. On the last set it looked like your were sitting "down" a little better and hitting depth easier, with less butt wink.

Again, it could have a lot to with the angle and clothes. Try setting the camera is one spot for the entire set, and wear some shorts and a t-shirt.

Nobodyhome, these squats are all high by about at least an inch. Shallow squatting has been known to cause prepatellar tendonitis on occassion. Something to think about.

-Stacey

Deadlift:

Your workset looks good. And like IPB said, quit looking around like a spaz during the set.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    quit looking around like a spaz

Spaz ?

Sorry for the dubm question, I'm not familiar with all the lingo on that side of the pond.

IPB

Spaz, as in someone who is spastic.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Spaz, as in someone who is spastic.

-S.
    I see. Charming and straightforward as usual :-).

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I see. Charming and straightforward as usual :-).

IPB
    ha!

and then I watched the video.. what were you looking at?

starting strength coach development program
    Hahaha! You can't see this on the deadlift set, but I was looking in the mirror to make sure my back had a good arch to it. I only did that while resetting between reps, not while actually lifting. LOL, I can see why you'd think I was just jerking my head around randomly though.

The fact that I'm so high has to do with that any lower than that and the butt wink will be pretty sh*tty, so I'm working on my flexibility for the moment.

Another thing is that I have no idea where spinal extension and hyperextension begins - I had at one point worked my flexibility up so much that I would actually HYPEREXTEND my back in hopes of getting a good arch, which isn't much better than rounding it. I guess now I'm underestimating though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast