starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift-induced back injury

Default Deadlift-induced back injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings!

The day before yesterday I received a sharp pain in the upper portion of my left glute muscle while deadlifting. I finished the set despite the pain. Now it's been sore for two days and I can't really even squat heavy because of it, even though the deadlift movement is where it hurts the most.

The pain can be felt when bending over, and especially when rounding the back. Otherwise it's painless. So I think it's a minor injury. I might have had slightly improper form (definitely not much though), and I was actually holding my mixed grip in reverse compared to how I usually do it. That might be the reason why the pain is single-sided.

Should I just use the Bill Starr rehab method, or should I let it heal and resume squatting and deadlifting heavy when it doesn't bother me any more. I'm really depressed about this, since I was improving so well, and I'm still not even moving very much weight (132,5kg x 5 for the deadlift).

Thanks!

So, it's an 'upper left glute' injury rather than a 'back' injury? If so, Starr rehab sounds like the one to do. If it's your back, Starr rehab probably isn't the go. Use the search function for what to do about tweaked backs.

Yes, I'd Definitely say that it's a glute injury, but it mainly hurts when bending the back or when I try to bring the knee closer to my chest such as in situps.

I've initiated the Bill Starr rehab, using deadlifts, and the pain subsides fully towards the end of the sets of 25. But after the set it hurts more. For instance, I can load up the bar no problem, but it's painful to take the plates off after the set (since I have to bend over to do that). It's almost as if everything else hurts more than the deadlift, even though that's how the problem started. I was even able to finish the set when the injury first happened, but the pain became worse after the set.

What should I do?
    Last edited by mohiz; 02-15-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: I added some data

Hi Mohiz,

I injured my lower back with a dealift back in November, and I wasn't even lifting that much (275 lbs). It was on the last lift of the set, but I realised immediately it was serious, as I actually heard something snapping in my back.

I rested it completely for a few days. As soon as I could tolerate the pain, I started squats, with very ligth weight and lots of repetitions. That, and lots of stretching, like sitting on a chair and trying to lower my head towards the knees, for as far as the pain would let me. At each session, I would increase the weight and lower a bit the repetitions. At all times, I tried to keep a perfect form, making my injured side no favours.

I did not go back to deadlift until I could squat again with the weight I had been doing prior to the injury. I have been exta careful (some might say pussyful) with the deadlift ever since, and only this week I'll attempt again the weight that injured me.

Hope this helps, although your mileage may vary.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    So, it's an 'upper left glute' injury rather than a 'back' injury? If so, Starr rehab sounds like the one to do. If it's your back, Starr rehab probably isn't the go. Use the search function for what to do about tweaked backs.
    Starr rehab is for muscle belly tears. If it's a tear, you'll see bruising.

Well, there's no bruising so it's not a muscle belly tear then? The pain is sharp and it's felt actually smack dab in the middle of my glute muscle. It couldn't be some kind of bone fracture?

IlPrincipeBrutto, thanks for your answer. In fact, I was deadlifting 290 (pounds), and that's not even my best set of 5. My back didn't snap, though, so I doubt it's as serious as your case. Did you only squat 3 days a week, though, or did you squat every day like it says in the Bill Starr rehab thread. Maybe I should squat instead of deadlifting, too? I can squat with 90kg somewhat ok, but 100kgs hurts too much even just unracking the bar and standing with it. My best set is 122,5kgs for 5.
    Last edited by mohiz; 02-15-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
    IlPrincipeBrutto, thanks for your answer... Did you only squat 3 days a week, though, or did you squat every day like it says in the Bill Starr rehab thread.
    I'm sorry I don't remember exactly, and I don't have the training book with me today. I think I did something like the first two days, than one day off, than again two days if the pain allowed me. I didn't go to five days a week, that's for sure.
    I did stretch every day though, because that felt good, and I think it helped a lot.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I think I'm going to go ahead and just skip the deadlifts for now and do light high-rep squats on my regular workout sessions 3 days a week, and stretching. I'll see what that does for me, unless someone comes up with more advice.