starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back rounding?

Default Lower back rounding?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, I've been lifting for years, but I've always been lousy at squats. I have been working much harder on my flexibility, but for me to squat to parallel, I need to slightly round my lower back. I lose the arch about 2 inches above parallel, and I need to lean forward so far, I seem to lose any leverage or power trying to get down that far.

A weightlifting coach told me one time that I'll suck at squatting b/c of my long femurs. He said to keep trying to do them the best I can, but I won't be winning any powerlifting comps anytime soon.

So, what should I do? Go lower and work on getting the form better each time? Or stay a little higher?

Frustrated. And, in perspective, I'm coming off a strained adductor, so my squat feels weak anyways, but I struggle with 225-245 to parallel on squats, and I can not deadlift for months and pull 350+.

It would help if maybe we could see an example of your form. There is a possibility that you're exaggerating the "hips back," know whadda mean, Vern?

-S.

I will work on getting some video. It's bad on light reps, and worse on heavier reps..... LOL

If you do not have the book, read the active hip article in the toolbar on the left.

Proper knees out position lets you get deeper than you expected without back rounding.

I have the book, I've focused on getting the knees out, but I still lean quite a bit, and just feel super weak getting down that far.

I was overdoing the sit-back too. And it took me a while to understand what people on the forum meant when they told me to set knees forward.

If you set knees out and lower yourself under control it will build tension in hamstrings and adductors, which will stretch and get more accustomed to greater ROM over time.

When I started using this method I was not hitting parralel, but just 3 or so weeks later I am getting very good depth.

starting strength coach development program
    I appreciate the insight. Hopefully I can camera to get some footage of this.