starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats

Default Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

take a look at my squats? I've got front view and back view of my final work set, taken on two consecutive sessions. I realise that I'm suffering from the ol' GM out of the bottom. This is something I've been battling with for a while.

Anyway, thought I'd get your opinions on my squat in general

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_tBXGCP8o

Tim

looked like pretty damn good low bar squats to me. you may have GM'd it a bit on the last set of the last rep--but shit it was heavy and I ain't one to talk.

by the way, how many f'ing plates you got on that bar? Looks like your scrounged every damn plate in the room and threw it on the bar. awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Looks like your scrounged every damn plate in the room and threw it on the bar. awesomeness.

Haha, yeah, pretty much. I don't have a lot of plates, or cash to drop on new plates. Though, I've literally run out of room on my bar in deadlifts. So, until I get more plates, I'm stuck at 170kg for DLs...

It's even funnier for presses. My roof is too low for anything bigger than 5kg plates, so the bar is just loaded with 60kg of 5kg plates!

Thumbs up good

I agree with geoff, everything looked good. Your knees didn't cave, they didnt travel forward, your back was straigt, you looked down, your depth was good.
    How much weight was that exactly?

Form was pretty damn solid bro.

You could not expect much better really.

You did only nearly get to parallel, but more depth with come in time. I dont think it is worth worrying about.

Same goes for the tiny bit of GM'ing. You are doing all the main stuff very well.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Anyone else? Stacey? Gary?

Hey T, looks good. Only thing I can't comment on w/confidence is depth. I'm inclined to say that they're a shade high, but you have to take that with a huge grain of salt because from this angle I just can't say for sure.

Take what I'm about to say with the understanding that I know that when the weight starts to feel really heavy, it's difficult to trust yourself to drop into the hole with enough speed to take full advantage of the "bounce"--at that point, you're just trying to stay tight more than anything else. But IMHO it looks as though you're approaching the bottom with a little trepidation (understandably so, as I noted), but if you just got a little more speed right there near the bottom, you'd get more out of the stretch reflex. I understand there's a fine line between too fast and too slow, and everyone who squats is treading that line. FWIW the tendency to slow down gets most pronounced towards the end of that set.

Otherwise, very nice job on these. Your body as a whole looked very tight and very stable during these. You're a strong guy and you've got a lot of progress left in you, from what I can tell.

-S.

Thanks Stacey,

On the depth issue, I've been taking some videos from the side, and it looks good to me. I've got a huge butt, so it does make it harder to tell. I have already reset and come back up to fix a depth issue I had. Now I'm confident that it's ok.

You're right about the speed thing. I know that more speed will help, but I'm always busy focusing on knees out, knees not coming forward, and not GMing too much to go much faster. I'll try though.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    Thanks Stacey,

On the depth issue, I've been taking some videos from the side, and it looks good to me. I've got a huge butt, so it does make it harder to tell. I have already reset and come back up to fix a depth issue I had. Now I'm confident that it's ok.

You're right about the speed thing. I know that more speed will help, but I'm always busy focusing on knees out, knees not coming forward, and not GMing too much to go much faster. I'll try though.

Thanks again.
    Understood. You'll find what works best for you, I'm sure.

-S.

starting strength coach development program
    What Stacey said.

Your squat looked more Rip & Kilgore textbook than mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast