starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking a break from 3x5 squats

Default Thinking about taking a break from 3x5 squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing SS for a while, learned the basic lifts, and increased my strength.

At this point my body has ballooned in size in the midsection, huge stomach and huge ass and thighs.

The squats are at a point where my shoulders are so fatigued from holding the weight against my back that it is becoming very hard to do press or bench press, even going up 2.5lbs each time.

I need some time for my upper body to catch up as I barely have any muscles up there, having been a soccer player and very slim physique other than my legs. I want a strong, nice-looking upper body, dammit.

So what should I do? Eliminate squats all together to stop my ass from growing? Do them once a week? Front squats? Switch the upper body exercises to some kind of body building scheme to satisfy my ego? Take a break from weightlifting and start swimming? I'm hoping for some advice.
    Last edited by nobody; 02-14-2010 at 03:54 AM.

Or... just do your damn squats.

Question: is your upper body in proportion to your lower, I mean truly in proportion, and not in proportion according to the looney toons caricature of a man you see depicted in the muscle mags?

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    At this point my body has ballooned in size in the midsection, huge stomach and huge ass and thighs.
    what is your height and weight? Where did you start weight wise? What are you shoving in your mouth on a daily basis?

How are you shoulders fatigued by holding the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    How are you shoulders fatigued by holding the bar?
    This. Are you sure your bar position isn't way too low? Have you experimented with grip width and/or elbow position? Have you tried high bar? .. and so on.

If you do a full-body routine, your body will grow in proportion. If you are squatting 400, benching 250 etc. your upper body and lower body will both be proportional, i.e. bigger than they are now. If your upper body is lagging it will grow faster than your lower body.

If squats are ruining your bench workouts, you can either
    1. rest more so your bench workouts don't suck
    OR
    2. Bench first.

Whoa! I just blew everyone away. I know.

Nobody

Is your huge Ass getting you down, friend? Why not forget about getting strong. Strength is overrated. What you want is to be beautiful. Nice looking upper body, firm and toned.......

Or are you chasing two rabbits at once and not catching either of them. Read around. You're not ballooned. Not your ass, or your thighs, or your stomach. Your legs are small. I'm sure of this. Maybe by soccer player standards they are, but by bearded man standards you need to keep eating and increase the volume on your dl a little to thicken out your back. And squat more. Give it time, don't hurry. Just because it's rocky sometimes doesn't mean anything needs to change. Stay the course.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    If squats are ruining your bench workouts, you can either
    1. rest more so your bench workouts don't suck
    OR
    2. Bench first.

Whoa! I just blew everyone away. I know.
    Dude, this is the internet, reason and logic have no place here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast