starting strength gym

Thread: 95kg-209lbs squat check

Default 95kg-209lbs squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi peeps,
    i did only 4 reps, pretty much i stalled lol. Due to gym close early so i only have 30min to workout so im in a rush. My form was out of control, not good at all.
    I never camera mysef on the side before, I find that im not sitting back and the bar is not in a vertical path of the mid foot also little back rounding. I tryed very hard to chest up. Maybe i was in a rush to finish workout.
    Any input guys?
    sorry about the newb guy grunting in the background doing stupit bicep curls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpFMccAtafM

cheers
    tam

Looks high to me and I think this is due the fact that you are not shoving out your knees correctly.
    Then again I am a newb aswell :- )

Try to keep your back in full flexion and the back angle constant. If you arch your back when you unrack your squat and hold it tight your chest will stay up. Also shove your knees out by opening your groin a bit more, you'll be able to get lower.

Edit: TomC is right, extension of your thoracic spine is what I was referring to. Don't keep your back in full flexion.
    Last edited by Rodolfo Bryant; 02-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Keep your chest up and stop thinking so damn much. Turn the brain off and let the squat happen

also, buy lifting shoes.

Try to keep your back in full flexion
    Please don't do this. Flexion is not what you want. Lumbar extension is and it will help to keep you from injuring your back.

Your squat is awkward and segmented. It should be smoother. You need to unlock your hips and knees roughly at the same time and descend in one motion. I think hips should lead very slightly because it helps to tension the hamstrings before the knees bend. Check this out for a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl...eature=channel

Your knees need to come forward over the toes in the squat earlier and stay there once you reach the halfway point. You are shooting your butt back when you come out of the hole. This carries your knees backwards and opens up the knee angle without really moving the weight anywhere. It also helps to unbalance you and turns your squat into more of a good morning. Hips need to drive up and carry the torso with it. Getting your knees locked into the correct position earlier will help with this.

You are too high on a few of the reps. I cannot really see what your back is doing because the plates are obscuring it. If you are losing your lumbar curve, that's a bad thing.

You're shoving your ass backwards on the ascent. This lessens the quads involvement - not a good thing. Ass goes straight up.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 02-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Lots of advice hear and lots to think about. Here's one more: you're rolling the bar up your back on the ascent. Try getting your hands/wrists on top of the bar and keep your elbows UP and don't roll the bar forward.