starting strength gym

Thread: 315 squat check

Default 315 squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ok, back for more. I just missed reps for the first time today at 320. here i am struggling through 315. any constructive feedback is appreciated, thanks.

first set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4vpbMgXoY

second:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqzGs3rmqk

and third:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2ECAM6aFc

There is a tendency to widen the stance when weight gets heavy. In the second video, you are too wide.

Also notice that your ankle is rolling in as your knees start to cave.

I would encourage you to bring your heels in more, leaving your toes out a bit. This may help with the knees.

As for getting up out of the hole, remember "big chest" or "chest up".

After the 4th rep of your first set, your knees caved on every rep thereafter.
    Your depth was good on the 1st set but got progressively worse with every set thereafter. Try bringin in your stance a bit and focus on pushing your knees out.

Not bad looking squats. I see your knees caving in a bit as you ascend. You also seem to be getting bent-over by the weight. Focus on keeping your knees out and maybe tighten your stance up an inch or two. It might also help your back angle if you think about actively contracting your lumbar throughout the motion.

Edit: I was beat to it. Twice!
    Last edited by Rodolfo Bryant; 02-16-2010 at 07:10 PM.

What you really need to focus on, apart from stance width, is chest up. Exaggerate the cue both before you squat and while you go down, and you won't feel like you're folding in half at the bottom. By folding in half, the bar moves forward, forcing you to expend unnecessary energy keeping it in balance and ultimately turning it into a good morning

I don't like to comment on anyone's form videos much anymore, but I thought I'd chip in here because my squats have looked identical to yours at one point
    Last edited by Nauticus; 02-16-2010 at 07:56 PM.

thanks. this was a very heavy weight for me -- beginning at about 300-305, I started to struggle with chest up and knees out. I really appreciate the criticism, because I don't have a coach, and so I'm figuring it out as I go. I'm re-setting thursday and will keep working. also ordered shoes and belt today.

I agree, chest up man!! Even before the rep starts, you are bent over a little and your chest isn't up. Think like you're a chick with a rack and you want to show them off, arch your back and stick your chest up and out!

starting strength coach development program
    re: what everyone said about keeping your chest up, it seems that you might be dropping because you're trying to get deeper. Next time, do what the others said about a big chest, but also realise that you might not feel as deep.