starting strength gym

Thread: Form check please

Default Form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Set 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruROZovgYEc

Set 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_l4Rg9G43A

Set 2 video is shot from behind, to check for knees out.

After seeing the criticism of pantsaregood's form ,i am wondering if i am making the same mistakes.

I had to deload from 260 down to 225 due to sickness and subsequent weakness. The weight in the video is 240lb. With the new belt, the squats feel good and weights are moving well. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

PS - this is the third form check video thread i made. Just trying to nail form down.

Thanks for your time.

Those look pretty solid to me. I just got that same belt, too. I'm liking it so far though its a little stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Those look pretty solid to me. I just got that same belt, too. I'm liking it so far though its a little stiff.
    Ya, I am quite amazed at the difference the belt has made. It seems to have taken some load off my quads and transferred it to my abs. Not too bad for the $45 i paid.

I think these look very good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by astanto2 View Post
    I think these look very good as well.
    thanks astanto.

Nice job.

-S.

The squats look great, the only criticism I have is be more explosive on the concentric part of the lift if you can. It's tough to tell from just one video and not actually seeing you train if it's just a heavy weight for you or if you're just lifting it slow. The form looks great, which leads me to believe it's probably not super heavy for you, so the lift should look faster. I'm a proponent of lifting every rep of every set as explosive as possible, especially with an exercise like squats. You should be putting maximum force into the bar whether resistance is maximal or not. Be under control, but don't be afraid to explode.

thanks Stacey.

Jason,

you are right. i thought about this and i think it can be traced to poor bar placement. I am actually having some trouble keeping the bar on my back. last nights workout was the first one in weeks where my elbow cooperated and i was able to securely place the bar in low back position. The video was from the previous workout. So, i am always nervous about bouncing the bar out of its spot if i come up too fast. i need to work more on my bar placement and i think that will encourage me to be explosive.
    thanks for the observation.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll start by saying that your squats look solid.

Watching your knees however, it looks like you can get them over your toes considerably more and they won't bounce around. Its the typical vertical shins. Tighten your stance an inch or two and get your knees farther forward sooner and hold them there.

Keep it up!