starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Frequency Question

Default Deadlift Frequency Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

So I know in PPST Rip advocates switching up deadlift programming because its extremely taxing to recover from. Mine is at ~295 for a set of five(BW of 210.) I'm frustrated cause its so weak and Im tired of it being so damn low. I had a stall today, partly due to shit outside of my control, but I'm wondering how much further i should go before switching up the deadlift programming. Is it simply another instance of 3 strikes, switch the programming? So I should try at this weight twice more before changing anything? To be clear, I'm not changing the program immediately, but I probably will in the near future, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you taking 5lb jumps? I would reset down 10 lbs (2 weeks) and then work your way back up. I recently had to do this, and smashed through the old weight that I failed on the 5th rep.

Willing to be told I'm wrong though

Yeah, I'm doing 5lb jumps.

I probably should mention my program...

MWF:

Squat
    Bench Press/Press
    Deadlift/Powercleans

I added chins/pullups on non-deadlifting days just recently. Sorry about that.

Stronger, that might be something I'll try if this fails again. It won't, though, I'm so tired of having a <300lbs Deadlift.

Having a deadlift 5 pounds below 300 must be awful. Mine is only 230 though, so I can't say you're bad. Anyways, I am curious to see the results because I am 158 or so and would only like to gain about 17 more pounds, which I am trying to make more gradual and prolonged.

I think you should firmly explain to your brain that 295 is not acceptable and stick with the program.

I found that having one training day a week where I didn't have a pull from the floor really helped me.

A better question is: how are your squats going? I find that when I'm having trouble with my deads it's generally because I've gotten sloppy with my squat depth/knee position.
    Last edited by Sgsolberg; 02-18-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Let me see if I can dig up the Q&A post with Rip, but I think he advocated deadlifting 1 x Week @ 10lbs jumps over 2 x week @ 5lbs jumps.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you re-read the deadlift chapter in starting strength? I thought I stalled at 315, but realized that my starting position was weak and there was "slack" in the line.

Came back the next time and crushed 315, just crushed 325 yesterday. It seems like the bar moves less, like it takes less time to get it up. I guess that is gravity telling me how I should roll.

Rip says if the starting position is comfortable to get into, it isn't correct.