starting strength gym

Thread: Tall guy's deadlift

Default Tall guy's deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKoala.../0/Jpwv0N4i97c

Forgive me for my positioning between the sets.

Appreciate the feedback.

Wow are those 45's, you are so tall you make them look like 25's.

I thought I was tall (6'2")...how tall are you?

Anyway, the biggest problem is your back doesn't get "set". It looks round most of the time. The belt position may be such that it is screwing with your ability to extend your entire spine...or it may be that you don't know what it feels like. Anyhow, you have to "set" your back much better.

Finally, the bar is not over your midfoot and thusly your hips are too low for you anthropometry. This is causing your hips to go up first without any movement of the load. So bring the bar in closer, about an inch from your shins.

The amount of rounding shown is nothing to be worried about.

This is my workset.
    I am 196cm by the way :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Koalala has not been deadlifting for long, and I would say fixing the rounding is definitely a priority over adding weight at this stage.

It looks to me like belt is screwing it up too.

I think koalala should try harder to learn the extended back position, as this problem is only going to get a lot worse as weight is added.

His is not one of those people who mus deadlift with a horizontal back (like me) for whom back extension is even more difficult.

I think the position could be improved a lot. If you look at the hips & lower back they are totally rounded and tilted towards the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    I'm not worried. I just know it looks like he could extend way better because the weight doesn't look hard at all for him. He's not maxing out here....not even close. He could stiff leg that weight easily.

I stand by what I think he could do better. Extend the back better because it is round from start to finish...and bring the bar in closer to his shins. It looks like the bar is forward of his midfoot and he is attempting to "squat" the weight up.

You can see it by the way the weight swoops inward when he breaks the floor instead of going straight up. That's not going to be most efficient when he adds weight to the bar.

He'll get away with what he's doing now while he using light weight but it won't fly 100 lbs from now...if everything doesn't tighten up.

This was 1x5 135kg

Not reallly light for me to be honest.

But Bring my shins closer to the bar and maybe replace my shoes?

I will try to do without a belt.

It didn't look like a grind though. Tighten up the form and it will feel much easier.

starting strength coach development program
    You are rising hips before the chest. I had same problem btw. SS page 131 writes about it.