starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my food even being digested? WARNING (bowel related content inside)

Default Is my food even being digested? WARNING (bowel related content inside)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have noticed, that whenever I drink more than 1 pint of milk in a day. In about 3.5 hours after I get projectile liquid diarrhea which also seems to expel whatever meals I had in that time, which look very undigested.

As soon as I drink the milk I can hear it swirling down trough my digestive system, it is loud like plumbing. No matter how much I drink, none of the fluid ends up in my bladder. It all works itself into the intestine. Which eventually requires me to let it all out. Anything else which happened to also be in the system also departs without finishing digestion.

I have been drinking about about 2 pints of milk during most workouts recently, and I really think it helps DURING the training. But I am starting to feel it may be robbing me of more dietary goodness than it is providing.

I looked in the pharmacist for lactase pills but they dont have any, the few supplement retailers in the UK charge a fortune. If I am to get some I shall have to order from the USA. I feel odd about ordering medication online!

But my main question is, if you get violent diarrhea, does any of the nutrients from all the food you ate even get to enter your system?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I have noticed, that whenever I drink more than 1 pint of milk in a day. In about 3.5 hours after I get projectile liquid diarrhea which also seems to expel whatever meals I had in that time, which look very undigested.

As soon as I drink the milk I can hear it swirling down trough my digestive system, it is loud like plumbing. No matter how much I drink, none of the fluid ends up in my bladder. It all works itself into the intestine. Which eventually requires me to let it all out. Anything else which happened to also be in the system also departs without finishing digestion.

I have been drinking about about 2 pints of milk during most workouts recently, and I really think it helps DURING the training. But I am starting to feel it may be robbing me of more dietary goodness than it is providing.

I looked in the pharmacist for lactase pills but they dont have any, the few supplement retailers in the UK charge a fortune. If I am to get some I shall have to order from the USA. I feel odd about ordering medication online!

But my main question is, if you get violent diarrhea, does any of the nutrients from all the food you ate even get to enter your system?
    My wife is lactose intolerant. That is exactly to a T what happens to her when she drinks milk. You may not have previously been lactose intolerant but perhaps you have developed a food allergy to lactose due to excessive dairy intake? I'm certainly no expert but that is what it sounds like to me.

I used to go through the same thing and wonder if I was wasting my time or making things worse with all that milk. In fact, a few years back I tried GOMAD and ended up with bloating, cramps and headache so bad that I wanted to die.

Now I can drink over a gallon of whole milk per day with no ill effect except having to pee a lot and taking a few more dumps per day. The milk is apparently working as I gained over 20 lbs in a month and am still at the top of the next weight class up even after cutting for a meet.

Point is that over time my body adjusted. I think there's a lot to be said for gradually increasing milk intake over a few weeks. Maybe waving back every few days to give the body time to adjust, just like with weights.

For a long time after I began living on my own, I drank very little, if any, milk. After some time, drinking a pint would definitely upset my stomach, and send me to the bathroom. When I started training, I reintroduced the milk slowly, and have only upset my stomach once, when I tried to drink a quart within about 30min. But other than that, I can drink 1/4 - 1/3 gallon a day without any issues; could probably do more, but never tried. Usually drink about a pint while training with no ill effects.

as far as I can rememebr I was never lactose intolerant, could drink a glass or so of milk, used to fart.. but I thought it was normal.

I read that lactose is a difficult carb for human stomachs to digest, so everyone has a few issues with drinking milk.

However when I started drinking +1L of milk I started getting stomach problems.

I switched to lactofree, milk which has processed lactose which is easier for the stomach to digest, so I no longer have these problems.. It tastes just like normal milk.

I had a similar problem at the beginning.

Acidophilus/Probiotics and Psyllium Husk powder helped me.

But after awhile I didn't need them.

I've been lactose intolerant for most of my adult life, but dived into GOMAD when I started training. I took a lactase pill everytime I drank milk, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Last week, though, even with the lactase pill I've been suffering pretty badly from problems with digestion. I ended up buying lactase-free milk and that has been working well. Too bad that is is twice as expensive. I'm not doing GOMAD anymore (maybe 1/4 GOMAD) so that's not much of an issue.

Not much. I've seen a multivitamin floating around after a particularly violent episode. It didn't look very digested, and this was 6 hours after I took it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    taking a few more dumps per day.
    So is that like a dump every 4 hours? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by rjg91680 View Post
    I've been lactose intolerant for most of my adult life, but dived into GOMAD when I started training. I took a lactase pill everytime I drank milk, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Last week, though, even with the lactase pill I've been suffering pretty badly from problems with digestion. I ended up buying lactase-free milk and that has been working well. Too bad that is is twice as expensive. I'm not doing GOMAD anymore (maybe 1/4 GOMAD) so that's not much of an issue.

Not much. I've seen a multivitamin floating around after a particularly violent episode. It didn't look very digested, and this was 6 hours after I took it.
    Here's a money-saver for you. The manufacturers use lactase to make lactose-free milk, so you can just make it for yourself by grinding up a lactase pill, pouring it into your milk carton, shaking it up and letting it sit at room temperature for an hour or two. You will have to experiment with how long to leave it out, because enzymes work faster at warmer temperatures (except generally above 60 degrees celcius, when they start to break down).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rjg91680 View Post

This is me^^^ The pills USED to work for me as well, then one day..well it wasn't pretty. Pills never worked again. The Lactaid milk is great, but $5.50/gallon sucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast