starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift and Bench once per week?

Default Deadlift and Bench once per week?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, been reading these boards for ages but this is my first post here so I'll introduce myself first...

I'm Luke: 29, 5'11", around 95kg, and I'm an Aussie but live in England

Did crossfit last year for about 6 months, realised I was piss weak, so did some Dan John-ish basic strength training for a month, then switched to SS(ish) for a month, then stopped and farted around with a strict paleo diet and barbell complexes for some fat loss. Lost 10kg in 2 months ...but also lost some strength too.

Now I'm back on linear progression (basic novice program), am eating everything I can (not paleo), and drinking 4 to 6 (UK)pints of whole milk a day. Been on the novice program 3 weeks. I think (in fact I know) I started too high on the press so i think I will reset that before I get into real trouble. I am also trying to take it very easy on the bench, as benching has always given me shoulder pain for days after.

Here are how my numbers have gone so far over three weeks:

Squat: 85kg, 90kg, 95kg, 100kg, 100kg, 102.5kg, 102.5kg, 105kg, and tonight I will try 107.5kg

Press: 52.5kg, 55kg (missed 2 reps), 55kg (missed 1 rep), 55kg (missed a lot of reps! 4,3,3)

Bench: 70kg (easy), 75kg (failed + pain), 70kg (easy), 72.5 (easy), and tonight will try 75kg

Power Cleans: 65kg, 67.5kg, 70kg, 72.5kg

Deadlift: 135kg, 140kg, 145kg (slow), 145kg (back rounding), tonight I'll attempt 147.5kg

I have been eating more to try and address the missed reps, but I think my biggest problem was starting the press too high.

I'd like to focus on the press, but continue taking it very easy on the bench to try and get around this pain (not had any probs after these easy sets), and think sticking to once a week would help.

I also want to be able to make 2.5kg jumps on the deadlift from now on and I think switching to deadlifts once a week would help a lot.

So my actual question is, would it be reasonable to stick to the basic novice program, but always do workout 'B' on Mondays and Fridays, and workout A on Wednesdays? So EVERY week would look like this:

Monday:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Power Cleans 5x3

Wednesday:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Friday:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Power Cleans 5x3

...therefore presses and cleans 2x week, bench and deadlift 1x week

Does this seem like a good/bad idea? I guess it's 'not doing the program' ...but its closer than some, no?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks, Luke

Use micro loading for presses, otherwise they stall fast.

If you program this way then your most taxing workout will be always in the middle of the week, probably not best for recovery.

I'll reset the press on Monday to 50kg and microload 1kg at a time from there.

...but the program as written has the most taxing (deadlift) workout every second Wednesday anyway, and both Monday AND Friday every other week?

I can't think of any other way to reduce deadlifts to once a week without completely messing with the program and adding other lifts - eg. chins ...which would basically be one of the other programs?

If you are still novice then probably it is not a problem, but at some point it may start affecting your recovery. Advanced novice and intermediate lifters are doing lighter day in the middle of the week, for example front squats or light back squats instead of regular back squats etc.

Looks good. Wouldn't be wrong to add chin-ups on one of the days if you want to do them. Chin-ups and Pull-ups are in the novice program in PP first ed.

You could DL on Fridays for an extra day of recovery if it becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    Looks good. Wouldn't be wrong to add chin-ups on one of the days if you want to do them. Chin-ups and Pull-ups are in the novice program in PP first ed.

You could DL on Fridays for an extra day of recovery if it becomes a problem.
    I'd rather not add chins etc at this stage. Also nowhere at the gym to do them properly.

How would I arrange things to be able to deadlift on Fridays only?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    How would I arrange things to be able to deadlift on Fridays only?
    PC. PC. DL? But the way it is right now is probably fine unless the DL is so heavy that it screws up your performance on Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    But the way it is right now is probably fine unless the DL is so heavy that it screws up your performance on Fridays.
    Thats what I was thinking/hoping.

You could always do back extensions or good mornings or situps or something like that if you need more recovery instead of power cleaning on Fridays.

When i started the progression, I was having bench pain...and I dropped it for six weeks and exclusively pressed while the shoulder healed. Before I started progression, I hadn't really trained press in the past very heavily, the gains on the press were outstanding...and then I reincorporated bench and now I'm hitting PR's without pain.

Ditto on the microloading. It works wonders on the press.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Dwayne, I will try the program I suggested for a few weeks and see how things feel.

I have thought about dropping the bench completely before and pressing 3x a week, in fact I asked about this last year on the crossfit boards and got a roasting for it, including by Justin and Gant! ...and was told that the bench helps with presses too and it is an important lift etc.

I'm hoping that benching just once a week will allow me to build it up slowly and reduce the chance of further pain or injury. If that doesn't work I will ditch it and focus on pressing.

Incidentaly I got all reps on the bench again no trouble today (only 75kg) ...no pain so far.

I made 147.5kg for 5 on deadlifts, though I took about 5 - 10 seconds to reset between each rep. Is that ok? Should I got for 150kg next week or repeat today's weight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast