starting strength gym

Thread: New Guy - first workout

Default New Guy - first workout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I figured I might as well use the forum to track my progress and get input if needed.

Prior to discovering SS, I was doing 5x5-type workouts, but I realize now that I definitely don't have the proper foundation. My weights previously were:

Height: 6'3" Weight: 185 pounds approx 8-10%BF
    Squat (technically a partial squat, as I wasn't doing them the right way) 205
    Bench 200 - also wasn't doing them with the proper form
    Deadlift 235

Found my initial working set weights today:

Squat: 155
    Bench: 155
    Deadlift: 185

The squats felt great. My knees, back, and depth all seem to be pretty good so far. The changes I made to my deadlift form made them feel MUCH better. I realized that the 235 weight level was too heavy at this point.

We'll see what happens.

Congrats on identifying that you do not have a proper foundation. How did you figure that, I am always looking for good points when people say I don't want to get too big.

Part of it came when I jumped up a little too fast in deadlift a few weeks ago and was out for 5 days with a bad low-back spasm. That was right before I discovered starting strength. The biggest reason for my understanding of a lack of foundation was just from reading SS and Rip's articles.

However, my goal for the past few months has been to establish a foundation of general, functional strength to build on. I just didn't know the right way to do it before I found this program.

I ran college-level cross country. My peak "race weight" was something like 160 pounds, 5-6% bodyfat at 6'3" tall. I got tired of being a scrawny, inflexible, immobile little bitch.

For people who say "i don't want to get too big" the simplest thing to point out to them is that they probably won't ever really be huge, even if they wanted to be. Getting "too big" is about nutrition more than it is about how a person lifts.

My guess is people who say this already have a "doughy" physique to begin with. Not fat... just doughy. If they gain muscle, their body will have to burn off some of the fat as their metabolic rate increases.

you could also point out to them that they have a sandy vagina.

welcome Tweak
    Glad to see another one come into the light!
    For a lean guy like your self, food is going to be a major factor, what are your nutrition plans? GOMAD?

thanks for the warm welcome...

I am starting on GOMAD at the moment, but I am going to try and ease myself into it, starting with around a half gal a day. I've been slightly lactose intolerant since I was a kid.

I've found if I try to start a big weight gain diet right off the bat and gorge myself with food to the point of feeling full and nauseated all the time, I can't sustain that for long enough without getting burned out.

also, i need to form the habit of just eating regularly. I work 60+ hours a week sometimes, so it can be easy to get absorbed in my work and look up to realize i haven't eaten in 8-10 hours.

For this first week or so, I'm trying to focus on:
    1. half gal of milk a day
    2. eating more frequently, (5-6), never skipping breakfast.
    3. protien shake after workouts and one before bed, with milk.
    4. more meat, peanut butter, and bananas.

Once I get through this and manage the side effect of horrific, asphyxiating farts that smell worse than my dog's, then I'll up the milk intake to a gallon.

Hell are you in the right place this sounds like a sensible approach!
    A tip from a very lean friend of mine is to always have a packed lunch and always wear a digital watch. set your alarm to go off every 4 hours and eat simple as that.
    I can't advise you from a personal point of view, putting weight on has never been a problem for me.
    appox 85kg - 187lbs @ 5'10 and I love to eat so just take as a suggestion it works for him.

Default Workout 2

Weight: 186

Squat: 175
    Press: 75
    Clean: 90

Squats feel good right now. Still have to focus on going deep every rep. I'm concerned I started too light, but we'll see. 175 feels like there's a weight on my back, but not too difficult. My only concern is jumping up another 20 pounds will be tough after the next workout or two... I guess that's normal? Don't want to stall out too early.

I've hang cleaned 135 for 5x5 fairly easily before, but never from the ground. It's going to take a while to get the technique down.

You're not supposed to jump up 20lbs a workout.

starting strength coach development program
    "Lightweight, unconditioned kids need to go up in 10 pound jumps. Older, stronger trainees can use 20 or possibly 30 pound increments." page 27 of SS.

155 felt very light. I'll probably only go up 10 pounds next time.