starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powercleans

Default Powercleans

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My latest incarnation of the powerclean, for ya'lls critiquing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T9tB9hZMx8

Thanks!

They look pretty solid. You may have a hint of early arm bend on one or two, but nothing significant. Your start position and general mechanics seem to be good. My main suggestion is to be more explosive on the second pull. Once the bar hits the mid thigh, jump aggressively, get the bar moving faster, and drive the elbows up with more urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    They look pretty solid. You may have a hint of early arm bend on one or two, but nothing significant. Your start position and general mechanics seem to be good. My main suggestion is to be more explosive on the second pull. Once the bar hits the mid thigh, jump aggressively, get the bar moving faster, and drive the elbows up with more urgency.
    What about his rack position? It looks like it's half racked on the front of his delts, and half in his hands. I wouldn't think that would fly when he starts bumping the weight up.

I don't know enough to critique the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    What about his rack position? It looks like it's half racked on the front of his delts, and half in his hands.
    He's probably just death-gripping the bar. Hook grip might solve that if that's the case.

-S.

I have issues racking heavier weights. I can rack lighter weights no problem. But 70kg and up, I think I get unsure and don't want to let go of the bar. I end up catching it in a press position.

If you can get the rack position fairly easily, it may just be a confidence issue. Look at the bar as a target that you have to hit with your delts, and you need to really rotate your elbows MUCH faster. The elbows are another explosive component of the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    What about his rack position? It looks like it's half racked on the front of his delts, and half in his hands. I wouldn't think that would fly when he starts bumping the weight up.

I don't know enough to critique the mechanics.
    His elbows could be a bit higher, but not everyone has limb lengths that support that position. I've seen much worse. I would bet that if he got his elbows moving a lot faster and let the bar roll back onto his fingers at the top that his rack would take care of itself.

His elbows could be a bit higher, but not everyone has limb lengths that support that position. I've seen much worse. I would bet that if he got his elbows moving a lot faster and let the bar roll back onto his fingers at the top that his rack would take care of itself.
    My arms are a little longer than average and I figured it out. But even if he couldn't, any type of weight being held like that is going to kill his wrists. Unless he's got ridiculous monkey arms (which it doesn't look like), he needs to work on it.

Someone better fucking tell that to Hossein Rezazadeh then.

Also, Shane Hamman:

Getting the humerus parallel to the floor is considered the ideal. However, just because they are not is not an indication that something is terribly wrong. If it is not hurting him, then things will probably be just fine. If it is hurting him, then, yes, he needs to get the elbows higher.

Someone better fucking tell that to Hossein Rezazadeh then.
    Right, but there's a difference between a limit attempt in competition and what you're doing for sets across with a power clean.

starting strength coach development program
    You guys are right. He's going to mangle his wrists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast