starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Jump

Default Deadlift Jump

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, so today's workout was my 3rd one. Prior to this program I'd been doing 5x5's on deadlift at 235, but with poor form.

I've dropped back, corrected my form and the lift feels much shorter now, with deadlift moving from 185 the first workout to 205 today.

had a little hiccup today though... I sort of got on autopilot and did 3x5 deadlifts at 205 rather than 1 set. Downside is that's not the program, upside is I was able to do 3 sets without a problem, which means I can do more weight.

I'm not deadlifting again until Saturday. So the question is, do i just sit tight and bump up by 20 pounds, or do i go ahead and be a little more aggressive and go for 30 pounds?

Form on the way up is solid... still having a little bit of a problem on the way back down. It's tough to bring the bar back down controlled in the same spot up against the shins.

Since you apparently were capable of doing a 5x5 with 235 lbs, I would bet that a single set of 5 with 235 is well within your reach. If you are going into significant lumbar flexion, then you'll know what you need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Form on the way up is solid... still having a little bit of a problem on the way back down. It's tough to bring the bar back down controlled in the same spot up against the shins.
    This is not necessary for a good deadlift, by the way. The descent can and probably should be a good deal faster than the lift off the floor. You roll the bar back to your shins and set yourself up properly prior to pulling again.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured.... but man, after making the adjustments to my form based on SS, i feel MUCH stronger, and the pull feels a lot shorter.

Before, my ass was going up 6" before the bar ever left the ground, so I was essentially RDL'ing 235, not deadlifting it. I'll go up to 235 and see what happens.

PUMPED.

fyi I'm a tall lanky fuck with ape arms, so i can stay pretty upright during the pull without my knees shifting forward, etc. I guess that's why i love the deadlift so much.

It seems to me you are simply deadlifting too much (if I'm reading your post correctly). The deadlift is incredibly easy to overtrain, hence Rip's program has only 1x5 deadlifts.

Can you not squat? If you can, then perhaps you would see the growth you want if you were to reduce the volume and increase the intensity of your deadlifts.

If you are on a different program, enlighten us to what it is.

Sorry for not posting clearly. My initial post listed what I was doing BEFORE I got on the SS program. I just finished my 3rd SS workout today.

Then, my question had to do with my progression of the Deadlift increments. What happened was during my 3rd workout today, I sort of "got in a zone" I guess with the deadlift and "accidentally" did 3 sets of 5 at 205 instead of 1 set of 5.

My question was whether I should just bump up the weight for my next deadlift (for ONLY 1X5) to 225, or to go on up to 235, which was the weight I was doing PRIOR to starting the SS program for 5x5, but it was done with poor form at the time. Now that I have corrected the form, I should be able to handle 235 for 1 set pretty easily.

My point was that 3 sets of 205 was fairly easy. TomC pointed out that if I was able to do 5x5 of 235 earlier, then 1 set of 235 with proper form shouldn't be a problem for me to build on. The reasons I backed off the weight before were to correct my form and, like you said, avoid overtraining.

So, to be clear, it's not my intention to do more than one set of deadlifts. I just slipped up today. The question was whether a jump of 20 pounds or 30 pounds was in order, considering past lifts.

Either way, going to 235 rather than 225 really isn't going to make that big of a difference. I imagine just being conservative and staying at 225 is probably the better approach to avoid the risk of getting stuck.

Agreed. No need to get greedy. Stretch those 10lb jumps out over as long a time period as possible.

starting strength coach development program
    I kind of want to hijack this thread since it's on a similar issue regarding deadlift jumps. Currently I'm 5'9'', 185 lbs. I have been following the novice program layed out in PPST2. I've been increasing my deadlifts by 15 lbs every week. Two weeks ago I was able to crank out 260 lbs for 5 reps. Last week I think I had a trifecta of poor rest, not eating enough, and a missed workout or two, but when it came to my deadlift day I was only able to churn out 275 for 3 reps.

This week I reattempted the 275, but I couldn't get the weights an more than an inch off the ground. Figuring I need to reset, I went back and did 260 for 5.

My question is this; today I was able to do squats at 225 for 3 sets of 5, but honestly I think I was more or less winded when I tried to deadlift. Should I perchance take smaller, maybe 7.5 or 10 pound jumps on Wednesdays and do another set of 5 deadlifts for another small increase on like a Saturday?

I know Rip has said often that deadlifts are very easy to overtrain, but considering how early I am in my novice progression it makes no sense that I could perform 3 reps at a weight one week and not even succeed the next. I think my deadlifts are too close to my squat, so maybe one set each week with a big jump can be split into 2 sets with smaller jumps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast