starting strength gym

Thread: When to stretch...

Default When to stretch...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Guys, I'm taking the next 2 weeks light cuz i've got abductor pain and pain in my lower left back, around the hip girdle right next to the back...

I've started the rehab programming and its going well I think.

I've be thinking of doing figure 4 stretches because it seems to target my injured area perfectly...; But i dont know how to implement them.. Do I do them at the start or afterwards, or at all?

Thanks

I use the same stretch to help ward off back and hip tightness. Usually the last thing I do before leaving the gym, plus a few times at home in the evening when it gets tight. Morning would probably be good too, so you're not walking around tightened up all day.

Another stretch I like is to take a length of rope and make a stirrup for one foot while lying down - you can raise that leg and stretch the hamstring, pulling it straight towards the head or slightly across the body, then bring it across (leg still extended) until foot hits the floor. I'm sure there's a name for this but I don't know it - just feels good on the hip to torque it across and hold it there for a while. But I suck at flexibility, so what do I know.

After a workout. The muscles are warmed and the blood is flowing.

If you do stretch in the morning, better after a shower or very gently.

thanks

Don't do passive stretches pre-workout. Passive stretching saps strength for up to an hour afterwards. Instead you should do active stretching. Some leg/arm swings to get loosened up a bit; body weight squats would also be a good active stretch obviously.

Read: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...112pewarm.html