starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamstring flexibility - depth and such.

Default Hamstring flexibility - depth and such.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering what is the preferred method to get hamstring flexibility up? Would good mornings help with this process?

I currently do the squat stretch while latching onto something, and the "laying on the floor and press on my leg" stretch. I do these 3 times a day, once when I wake up, after working out, and before bed. How often can I do these a day? If i increase the amount I do during the day, will this speed up the process? Is it possible to stretch too much a day, as long as I warm my hamstrings up before doing it? How long does it typically take a person to restore flexibility to their hamstrings to drop below parallel?

I cannot currently do a body weight squat without tipping backwards, thus why I latch onto something before squatting.

I remember reading in the book it says the best way to do it is by simply squatting, but I can't even get into a full ROM.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtx0 View Post
    I remember reading in the book it says the best way to do it is by simply squatting, but I can't even get into a full ROM.
    I wouldn't rule out that form is an issue. Seriously.

EDIT: I just re-read the part of your post where it says you almost tip over when doing a bodyweight squat. Something's not right, and I wouldn't rule out something the matter with your mechanics. And not everyone can reach full depth without the bar on their backs FWIW....
    -S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 02-23-2010 at 03:37 PM.

I was wondering what is the preferred method to get hamstring flexibility up? Would good mornings help with this process?

I currently do the squat stretch while latching onto something, and the "laying on the floor and press on my leg" stretch. I do these 3 times a day, once when I wake up, after working out, and before bed. How often can I do these a day? If i increase the amount I do during the day, will this speed up the process? Is it possible to stretch too much a day, as long as I warm my hamstrings up before doing it? How long does it typically take a person to restore flexibility to their hamstrings to drop below parallel?

I cannot currently do a body weight squat without tipping backwards, thus why I latch onto something before squatting.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Squatting with a wider stance stretches the hammies more. Try squatting wide for a week or two and then reverting back to shoulder-width squats. This is actually mentioned in SS.

The flexibility should come fairly quick - but just remember, your hamstring flexibility doesn't mean shit if you don't keep your knees out and back extended. Also remember that the heavier the weight, the more forcefully your hammies will extend at the bottom.

I find that I cannot get deep enough until I get to my 3rd or 4th warmup set when the weight starts adding on. I have been using a slightly wider than shoulder stance, and over time I've felt the hamstrings increase in flexibility. As nisora pointed out, mechanics are most likely the issue here. Hammies are a bitch to develop flexibility for but it's rare for tight hamstrings to fully prevent squatting deep. It's harder for sure, but I doubt that they are so tight that you can't do full ROM.

So if I were to use a wider-than-normal stance, and if it hit parallel, this would be as effective as using the shoulder width stance as long as I kept my back extended? What if I could only get below if I used a powerlifting stance?

Also, out of curiosity: would goodmornings help the process as well?
    Last edited by mtx0; 02-23-2010 at 07:27 PM.

I don't think you need to think about good mornings just yet if you haven't learnt how to squat

Also, out of curiosity: would goodmornings help the process as well?
    I'd try RDLs/SLDLs.

I would guess that you're keeping your back too vertical when doing a BW squat...just guessing. As others have pointed out, put the bar on your back and see if that keeps you in a better position/pushes you down into a better stretch.

Also, Nisora has helped me by suggesting a partner-assisted hamstring stretch. You simply lie on your back with one leg outstretched on the ground and have a parter push your other outstretched leg back towards your head. Also, bands can be used in similar fashion without the help of a partner. If neither works in your situation, keep a similar position while standing and put your outstretched leg on a bench and lean forward while keeping a tight back.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    I would guess that you're keeping your back too vertical when doing a BW squat...just guessing. As others have pointed out, put the bar on your back and see if that keeps you in a better position/pushes you down into a better stretch.

Also, Nisora has helped me by suggesting a partner-assisted hamstring stretch. You simply lie on your back with one leg outstretched on the ground and have a parter push your other outstretched leg back towards your head. Also, bands can be used in similar fashion without the help of a partner. If neither works in your situation, keep a similar position while standing and put your outstretched leg on a bench and lean forward while keeping a tight back.
    OP says I already do those stretches but thanks.

Today I preformed a body-weight PARALLEL squat. I was able to get down into the position and hold it, but I had to keep my arms extended out in front of me, placing them together in my hands to push out my knees would cause me to tip (as if it's impossible to do while keeping my back extended). It took me an hour of preparation to actually do this, and I wanted to giggle like a little school girl when I actually got it done. Fucking took forever.

I did it by literally forcing a squat holding onto something, keeping my back extended and just would hold it there for a minute or so, rest and repeat. About a half hour into it I started to let go of the pole and PUSH really hard on my heels while focusing hard on keeping my knees out, and eventually got to where I wouldn't tip over at parallel. Not sure how I'm going to break parallel, but yeah: progress.

starting strength coach development program
    OP says I already do those stretches but thanks.

Today I preformed a body-weight PARALLEL squat. I was able to get down into the position and hold it, but I had to keep my arms extended out in front of me, placing them together in my hands to push out my knees would cause me to tip (as if it's impossible to do while keeping my back extended). It took me an hour of preparation to actually do this, and I wanted to giggle like a little school girl when I actually got it done. Fucking took forever.

I did it by literally forcing a squat holding onto something, keeping my back extended and just would hold it there for a minute or so, rest and repeat. About a half hour into it I started to let go of the pole and PUSH really hard on my heels while focusing hard on keeping my knees out, and eventually got to where I wouldn't tip over at parallel. Not sure how I'm going to break parallel, but yeah: progress.
    My apologies - I couldn't really tell what you were saying in your OP. Now it seems obvious. Anyways, glad you're making progress. Adding weight on your back will help you break parallel, as will pushing your knees out as you said. Clearly, you'll need to pay extra-special attention to keeping proper lumbar extension while squatting with such tight hamstrings. Perhaps several warm-up squats are in order before squatting.

To answer your OP, I don't think you can over do it in your case so long as you're not hurting yourself in the process. It's not a bad idea to attack problems such as these aggressively - stretching and foam rolling often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast