starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRESSing problems

Default PRESSing problems

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    See the pun there Anyways i've always been having trouble with my upper body lifts, but i was just wonderinng if any of these would be considered a decent press, or are these all too heavy for me with too much leaning back and that i need to drop the weight.

Press - 42.5kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqZiLOcVTKM

And i've dropped deadlifts down to once a week. Hit 128kg today and damn it felt hard. Just hoping for some critique of it.

Deadlift (only got the first 3 reps because then the camera ran out of memory)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-xCp5NSEE

definitely not too much, but it might help you to try getting under the bar faster. all of your head movement doesn't have to come from lean back, either, meaning your head does not have to stay still with respect to your upper body.

imagine trying not to lean back at all. you'd have to crank your head far back in order for the bar to clear your chin. i'm using this as a visual and not a technique recommendation, but you get the idea. try incorporating a little of this into the start of your lift, and see how you like it.

I get what you mean about moving your head back without necessarily moving your whole body back, and i've just tried doing that now but it seems to require a lot of thought because when i want my head to move back, my back naturally follows.

it's not something you'll just incorporate perfectly the next time you lift (what is?), so that isn't surprising. i'm sure you go to further lengths before writing something off, right?

anyway, here's a video of me pressing. watch the 5th rep, which i fail. i still get my head back under the bar even though it just stops right above my dome. you aren't getting back under the bar on some of these reps until it's almost locked out overhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rD12XIZ-gs

I see what you mean. You move your head back quickly while i take way too long to come back under it. I'll have to work on it. I always fail with the bar in front of me rather than over me because i neverget back under the bar fast enough.

Btw 195lbs. Sick.

With all your videos over the past few months, I've been in your bedroom more than my girlfriend's...

Just kidding you. Keep up the great work.

Would be helpful to be able to see your whole body. Think you could move out of your room and film somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    With all your videos over the past few months, I've been in your bedroom more than my girlfriend's...

Just kidding you. Keep up the great work.
    Haha if only i had a girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    Would be helpful to be able to see your whole body. Think you could move out of your room and film somewhere else?
    True, i'll see if i can get a shot from further away, maybe a front view of that would be possible.

I'm at about your deadlift (pulled 130kg today) and I've been finding that it helps a lot to look down more, like keeping my head in a normal line with my spine as I pull. Form looks great to me otherwise, as a fellow noob at least. Are you using hook grip?

starting strength coach development program
    I have the exact same problem with my press, confuzzl3don3. I'm super slow getting back under the bar, and the problem only gets worse when things get "heavy." I got stuck at 135 for about 3 weeks before I finally fixed things -- it's amazing how much more explosive you feel once you figure it out -- and I still have to constantly remind myself to get under the bar or I quickly revert back to my old habit. I think "forward" as soon as the bar comes off my shoulders. And I've really had to focus on pushing my head back rather than leaning back, and I make sure to lift my chest as high as possible (thoracic extension) without leaning back too much at the hips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast