starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Bench Form Check

Default Squat/Bench Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

So I kinda lied in my thread topic title...This is my third set, 300lbs squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdoWuJBagj4

I know the form wasn't pretty, but damn. I'm proud of myself.

Bench is where I really am curious. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPn3rcbtN4

I'm posting this cause I've been stuck at 180-190lbs for a while. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. This workout I got 1x5, 1x5, and 1x4. On the last set my spotter barely touched the bar on the last rep, using only his fingers. I figure that counts as help, even an infinitesimal amount, so I'm gonna reset to 170lbs, since I had two strikes last workout as well. I just wanna make sure i'm not doing anything wrong technique wise. Thanks guys.

Squat: #1 (glaring issue) could be A LOT tighter in the hole.

Bench: 1. Forearms aren't perpendicular to the floor at the bottom of the rep. 2. Can't see if you have any leg drive at all but it doesn't look like it. 3. The whole movement could be tighter (less body movement). 4. Not sure from this angle but it looks like you could touch a tad lower on the sternum.

Good luck.

Re: Bench -- your elbows are forming a nearly 90 degree angle with your torso, which is not the optimal position of leverage. There is a drawing in SS illustrating this point, but basically showing that you'll be strongest at about 45 degrees, i.e., halfway between elbows straight out and elbows tucked in close to the body.

The driver for this is grip width, if I'm not mistaken, with yours likely a little bit too wide.

Okay fellas, so which is it: grip too narrow or too wide:

Because I see at least a 60 degree angle formed by his humerous and his ribs.

-S.

I think the grip width might be ok where it is. He just needs to tuck his elbows more.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, which is it? All this too-wide, too-narrow talk has confused me. And I'm easily confused.