starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Press and DL thoughts....

Default Press and DL thoughts....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One thing about these two movements I've noticed is that they typically increase along with others. Increase your bench, your press comes along. Increase your Squat, DL goes up.

I've noticed with me that high 1RM%(90%) DL training is unnecessary to increase your dl Max. Sub maximal work spread over a longer period of time peaking every 2 months, works well for me. I think this has to do with keeping the neurological pathways the DL uses fresh by still working it weekly and hard, but not tearing up my nervous system by constantly attempting new PR's. Working hard, but only really having to go balls out once every 6-8 weeks is effective.
    Another thing I've noticed is that Presses and DL start with the concentric segment and ends with the eccentric, i.e the negative of the movement is after the lift is completed. Whereas in the squat or bench it's the opposite, the negative portion comes first, followed by the lift. What does this mean? Who the hell knows. Controlling the decent of a squat or BP is important, and in many ways decides the execution of the lift, where this element is absent from a DL/Press. I practice a lot of singles in the DL/press because of this lack of the negatives necessity in a successful lift(if I can lift it, I can set it down), but then again if your after multiple rep max's this is a moot point...and who knows if that's why this singles business works at all...Different and progressive are just as likely culprits...blah blah blah..thought I'd ramble..

How about starting the press from the top, like a bench press? So you'd lower and press back to the top for one rep. Think this changes things any? Just curious...

It would depend on how much possible muscular rebound exists in the press. Who knows.

Yes starting a press from the top, and doing it like a bench press, getting air at the top, and not pausing at the bottom, would make it a fair bit easier.

With unracking the bar, etc, it's just not practical though, and it's just weird doing it like that really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Yes starting a press from the top, and doing it like a bench press, getting air at the top, and not pausing at the bottom, would make it a fair bit easier.

With unracking the bar, etc, it's just not practical though, and it's just weird doing it like that really.
    That's why you pause on the first rep when it reaches the top, so you can start the next reps from the top. You can then take advantage of stretch relfex at the bottom of the press.

Yes, you can do that if you like on reps. We were speaking of singles though.

And making it "easier" is not really what I'm after. Dave Tate/Westside writes about singles Training for DL and I think it's worth a valid crack at using some of those principles at training the press. Ah, the fun of when simple linear progression stops working so well....

Default Press

You don't need to unrack the press high to start from the top (and it would be dangerous to do it that way). You can push press or jerk it up and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    I've noticed with me that high 1RM%(90%) DL training is unnecessary to increase your dl Max. Sub maximal work spread over a longer period of time peaking every 2 months, works well for me. I think this has to do with keeping the neurological pathways the DL uses fresh by still working it weekly and hard, but not tearing up my nervous system by constantly attempting new PR's. Working hard, but only really having to go balls out once every 6-8 weeks is effective.
    Thanks for rambling. This interests me. Would you mind laying out your DL workouts more specifically?

Default Sure

starting strength coach development program
    Currently I DL every Wed. I'm thinking about throwing in some rack pulls on Sat from now on, just to see what happens, but thats another topic....

wk1 15@70%
    wk2 12@75%
    wk3 10@80%
    wk4 8@85%
    wk5 5@90%
    wk6 rest or max or start over

That's the gist of it. I should probibly give someone credit for it but it's a Frankenstein routine that came from a lot of peoples ideas. The 90% x 5 week is hard.....but manageable. Notice 5 3 or 2 rep maxes have nothing to do with it. I like the singles because they keep the volume down, since I still squat 3 times a week(mostly, light squat/DL on same day). Hope this helps in some small way...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast