starting strength gym

Thread: Adding Additional Exercises?

Default Adding Additional Exercises?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a novice lifter still doing incremental increases and using a A/B program - lifting every other day. (A-squat-bench-deadlift) (B-squat-standing press-power clean). In the Starting Strength book, a later chapter mentions pull-ups, dips, and the use of a Roman Chair for back work.

How/when does a person start to integrate these into their routine?

Quote Originally Posted by stl rick View Post
    I'm a novice lifter still doing incremental increases and using a A/B program - lifting every other day. (A-squat-bench-deadlift) (B-squat-standing press-power clean). In the Starting Strength book, a later chapter mentions pull-ups, dips, and the use of a Roman Chair for back work.

Practical Programming has suggestions for when to include those. But if it ain't broke, I wouldn't try to fix it (i.e. if you're still making fine progress doing things the way that you have been). Then again, adding chins or lower back work might not hurt your progress either. At any rate, you're going to have plenty of questions like this, so purchasing PP isn't a bad idea. Nor is visiting a few of the sites that we name drop around here occassionally.

-Stacey

If you think you really need the extra work, have time, have energy, well, weighted ab work is probably the most useful thing to add at first. Just tack it on the end of your workout. Pullups/chinups are another option, just stick 'em on the end of the workout if you have energy. I think dips can wait, because you're getting worked enough on the presses. If you think they're interfering with your results on the big lifts, cut them out.

Of the 6 core exercises, the bench presses are the toughest so I thought pull ups might help build up some of the "surrounding" muscles.

The only troublesome soreness I've felt with the program is my lower back. I went ahead and bought a belt (that I only use on the last warmup rep and the work sets) which help with that soreness. I was thinking the Roman Chair work would strengthen the lower back.

I probably due need to go back and re-read Practical Programing. I bought and read SS and PP fairly close together so I hope to retain more the second time through. (I've found the DVD to be a great help - especially with the Power Cleans.)

With the high frequency of squats and deadlifts in the Starting Strength programme, I hardly think you need extra lower back work! Chins would probably be the most useful if you really must add something.

the only thing i ever added was back off sets of deadlift. im not very strong at deadlift and felt the back off set was necessary to drive my squat. it has worked really well. unless i get sick again ill be hitting 405 for 3 sets of 5 a week from monday without any craziness added in.
    i should note that a few times in my training i tried to mix things up and my progress slowed dramatically. i thought i needed different exercises or more assistance when all i really needed was better recovery (sleep). if i could go back, i would.

starting strength coach development program
    Of the 6 core exercises, the bench presses are the toughest so I thought pull ups might help build up some of the "surrounding" muscles.

The only troublesome soreness I've felt with the program is my lower back. I went ahead and bought a belt (that I only use on the last warmup rep and the work sets) which help with that soreness. I was thinking the Roman Chair work would strengthen the lower back.

I probably due need to go back and re-read Practical Programing. I bought and read SS and PP fairly close together so I hope to retain more the second time through. (I've found the DVD to be a great help - especially with the Power Cleans.)
    Overhead presses will cure both your back and bench.