starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Question

Default Squat Form Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Guys:

Just got to the gym with a camera today, so it was the first time i've been able to really see what I was doing. can't post the vids due to some problems with the

1.) On my last warmup set at 185 pounds. the depth is pretty good, but my knees seem to keep wanting to go straight forward rather than track out over the toes.

2.) The work sets have the same problem, except my depth is a little high. A little bit of back rounding, but not much.

I can't tell if my stance is too wide, or what... I am thinking about the knees going out, but it doesn't seem like it's doing the trick. Need to improve this.

I need to reset and fix the form problem before increasing the weight, correct?

Form with cleans, DL's, bench, and press are all fine.

You got it more or less.

practice with the empty bar till you have the technique down. Then put on enough weight that it is a comfortable challenge, to finish your 3x5 smoothly.

Less is better than too much, just aim for perfection in technique first.

Push your knees apart like you want to split the crotch of your shorts. Focus hard on a tightly arched back. If you do it properly the descent will be slow & controlled.

Here's one of the vid's I was able to pull off the camera, 185 warm-up set.

The knees seem to be the biggest problem for sure.... that and what appears to be zero hip drive, now that i think about it.

my appologies for the shitty vid quality. recording again on monday to get a better idea of what's going on after i make some adjustments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamclon.../0/1mxmRpgBx-w

These squats look good. From this angle I can't tell if your knees are caving in or not, so I'll just have to take your word for it, but everything else looks fine.

Don't lower the weight for your work set. As someone else mentioned in one of the other threads you posted, someone as early in as you should be able to fix their form while still increasing the weight. Try going up by 5 lbs next workout instead of 10, and focus on shoving your knees out and getting to the proper depth.

thanks... knees aren't caving in... i just meant that they aren't tracking out over the toe. if you look at the direction of the knee in relation to the direction my toe is pointed, it seems like they are going slightly forward rather than out over the knee.

But thanks for the input. I was concerned that my depth was a little too high.

I'll go up to 210 next lift and really focus on the knees to make sure my depth is where it needs to be.

starting strength coach development program
    If your focus on slowing down your eccentric you will be able to control the movement pattern of your knees better. You have to find the speed that is "just right", it is different for everyone.

Good squats.