starting strength gym

Thread: Resetting on the Squat

Default Resetting on the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm very early on in the program and just finished the 5th workout.

today was my first time in there with a video camera, and I have some problems with getting the knees to shove out over the toes, which is causing my depth to be compromised.

Do I need to back off to a lighter weight to fix this? I noticed the problem on my last warmup set of 185 pounds, then the depth became an issue on my work sets at 205.

I'm not really far off... i think if i fix my knees then the rest will follow.

so:

1.) If i need to reset, how much do i back off?

2.) After resetting, do I go back up at the same increments as before?

You're only 5 exercises in, so my opinion is to make sure you get your form down to near perfect at light weights.. if 185 is good for you, do that. Post a video....

This is not a "reset", that has a specific meaning in the context of the program. So, in short, you're squatting a little high and your knees aren't behaving, right? Minor form corrections early in the program don't really require you to stop going up, you should be able to manage fixing them and still hitting the increase. It's up to you to figure out whether this is a minor correction. But, seriously, at the end of the day, if you go back to 185, you'll be back where you are in a week (you can make these with 10# jumps), so, whatever. Seriously, you don't need this much hand-holding.

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamclon.../0/1mxmRpgBx-w

was able to get one of the vids up... this is at 185. I posted in technique forum as well just now. sorry for the shitty quality.

looks like my hip drive is shit as well now that i look at it more.

Dude, your squats are fine. At least as fine as anyone looking over the goddamn internet is gonna be able to tell for you. Get a experienced guy at a gym/a coach/or someone who's head isn't up their ass to look at you, just to get another point of view. Keep your knees in mind, but other that, don't worry too much. By the way, where you wearing sandals? If so, don't do that because it's hippy shit. You are fine. Good luck!
    Last edited by ZKP; 02-28-2010 at 07:48 AM.

haha no i'm not wearing sandals... i agree they are for hippies.

What i'm wearing are the vibram five fingers... It's the closest you can get to barefoot. I used to wear them for running. I can't afford to buy lifting shoes right now, so barefoot is the next best substitute.

thanks for the input.

Maybe your knees cave in a little bit on the way up, but it's minor and not a reason to stop progressing. If you stopped adding weight every time something minor came along, you'd never make any progress!

how is the depth? I'm neurotic about my depth. the work sets at 205 for this particular workout were just a little high i think... I'm going to video again on monday.

either way, i think we are talking about a matter of maybe an inch more in depth to work on.

i might be OCD when it comes to squat form... thanks for all the input you guys... i'll go up to 210 next workout (5# increase...i've been doing 10 pound jumps before now), and really focus on form.

After I review the vids and i'm convinced my form is still good, i'll resume the 10 pound jumps, if possible, for another week or 2 until i get closer to stalling.

starting strength coach development program
    Depth is great! Now, go eat, rest, and lift some more!