starting strength gym

Thread: New program for review

Default New program for review

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have just moved from the beginner program to a Texas Method based program (did my second session today) and would like some feedback on my program. I really want comments on my choice of assistance exercises, and where i put them since this is really where i am most uncertain.

Assistance exercises:
    1) Added Hangs after finding that I was unable to do more than 2 reps when deadlifting 160kg (350lb approx) because my grip was failing.
    2) Added dips to help my bench and press.
    3) 3x20 weighted situps (I heard this really helps Press)
    4) Added chin-ups because i suck at them

Day 1 - High Volume / Medium Intensity
    Squat 5x5
    Press / Bench 5x5 (alternate weeks)
    Rows 5x5
    Dips 3x5
    Weighted Situps 3x20

Day 2 - Low Volume / Low Intensity
    Front Squat 3x3
    bench / press 3x3 (alternate weeks)
    Power Clean 3x3
    Chin-up 20 (in whatever numbers i can get ie. 4/4/4/3/3/2)
    Weighted Situps 3x20

Day 3 - Low Volume / High Intensity
    Squat 1x3
    press / bench 3x3
    Deadlift 3x2 / 2x3 (test double one week and triple the next)
    Hangs 3xFailure
    Weighted Situps 3x20

Any useful comments appreciated.

If you use sets of 20 on your weighted situps, will you be increasing your abdominal strength as quickly as if you used fewer reps and heavier weight? I used 3x5. But I'm a newb. Perhaps this will/has worked well for you.
    Last edited by imnotbncre8ive; 02-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.

How would you go about getting a weight that only allowed 5 reps?

I use a 12kg kettlebell because it is small and easy to use but i was using a 20kg plate and was still doing 20's.

I have been doing situps forever and regularly do several hundred at a time.

I could do them on an incline bench. I used to use one at my boxing club and it made it much harder. I might try this next time and see how it goes.

Perhaps dumbbells if plates/kettlebells are too light. I only mentioned the sets of 5 as a possibility. If 20's have worked well for you, then that is all good. There are other threads regarding how you might progress on the chin-ups. In SS, Rip mentions that trainees should be able to do 15 in a set before adding weight. Other people on this forum have tried adding weight as soon as they could manage only 5 reps for sets. Just throwing that out there.

Good luck!
    Last edited by imnotbncre8ive; 02-28-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    How would you go about getting a weight that only allowed 5 reps?
    There's a PDF by Kilgore somewhere around here, but the basic idea is that you load up a bar (either a full barbell or an EZ curl bar or something) with weight and hold it straight up above you as though you're bench pressing it. Then, do regular crunches, keeping your arms vertical the entire time--"punching the weight into the air," so to speak. Just do a regular progression with the weight.

Really, your abs get all the work they need from squatting and pressing, so it's probably not strength you're after; for size, just do the ol' 5x12.