starting strength gym

Thread: Dealift form problem

Default Dealift form problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have always had a problem getting my back into extention. But something i tried today sort of helped it out and id like to see if anyone does this or if thtis is what you are meant to do in a start up.

Setting the bar over the middle of the foot, grab the bar but before bending my knees push through my heels to get my back as flat as possible then drop the knees and hips. In order to maintain the tightness (which i could never do) I kind of pull the bar into my shins activating my lats alot more.

Does anyone do this? Is this what needs to be done and ive just never thought about it lol

That's how I used to get my self into position. I would dip my knees and hips a bit to get into extension and then squeeeeeze myself back into starting position. Activating the lats helps keep the bar where it supposed to be.

I stopped doing it that way because I have been learning the SS way. Dropping the hips tends to knock the bar out of place so instead you're supposed to get into extension by "squeezing " the chest open and into place.

I'm doing it this way because of the upcoming cert. but I don't see whats wrong doing it the other way as long as the bar is in the right position when you lift it. Anyone?

Wat? Isn't that how you set up the deadlift in the first place. Bar over midfoot, grab bar keeping knees as straight as possible, then lower hips back and down as knees come forward to hit bar.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Wat? Isn't that how you set up the deadlift in the first place. Bar over midfoot, grab bar keeping knees as straight as possible, then lower hips back and down as knees come forward to hit bar.
    My impression was at that point your hips can dip a little for the bar to bring the shins forward but the dip to get into extension is whats frowned upon - at least was on the DVD. Rip says repeatedly not to drop the hips but to squeeze the chest. Dropping the hips has a tendency to knock the bar out of position.

Well it didnt work. Got to the gym yesterday and tried the technique i was practicing at work and it just didnt happen

Im so pissed off that i cant even get into a good position no matter if its toes out, feet wider, grip wider and no matter how hard i squeeze my chest up.

I need to deadlift. Its the only thing lagging in my training oh and cleans because of this problem

Have you tried setting up with the barbell elevated? Try it on top of a 45lb palte or whatever to give you a few extra inches. You can lift from there while working on your flexibility.

Im not sure if its flexibility as i can preform a full low bar squat to Rips standard.

I have set up properly before but i just somehow can never be consistant with it... Ill have like 1 day in 2 months where i can do it properly. Its frustrating

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by damiona View Post
    My impression was at that point your hips can dip a little for the bar to bring the shins forward but the dip to get into extension is whats frowned upon - at least was on the DVD. Rip says repeatedly not to drop the hips but to squeeze the chest. Dropping the hips has a tendency to knock the bar out of position.
    True, but i usually don't have that problem. I just let my shins touch the bar, and then pull the bar back into my shins so that it stays in the same position while i squeeze my chest up to try and get a good arch.