starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time round back deadlifting

Default 1st time round back deadlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Conversations here on this board, my lurking over at the Power and Bulk forums, and PMDL's recent article on the round back deadlift all got me wanting to try the lift that Bob Peoples helped popularize.

Sorry about the quality of the video--I forgot my camera and had to borrow a friend's phone. This is my 2nd warmup set, her phone fizzled out soon after, but based on "feel" alone, I'd say that my worksets didn't look much different than these:

http://www.vimeo.com/9833674

Note the low back remains flat throughout. Upper back is flexed and the hips are fairly high. Just thought I'd share this with you for the sake of your curiosity/amusement/derision.

-Stacey

some good sloppy rows and heavy shrugs will help bring that shit up fast

Looks like you have pretty awesome muscular control. I hope I look similar(but with conventional), as I haven't recorded myself yet. Let us know how it works out as the sumos get heavier.

Nice job keeping lumbar extension while allowing thoracic flexion.

As an aside, why sumo?

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Looks like you have pretty awesome muscular control. I hope I look similar(but with conventional), as I haven't recorded myself yet. Let us know how it works out as the sumos get heavier.
    I use the semi-sumo stance due to the length of my legs (legs too long for my body/real high-waisted). Consequently, this is the best my deadlift has ever felt. It feels like I was meant to pull this way.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    some good sloppy rows and heavy shrugs will help bring that shit up fast
    I'll need to figure out where to put what...

I cut out bench a while ago, and I doubt I'll be benching again anytime soon, so I usually do some variation of pressing three times a week. Right now I'm using Shaf's ladder approach to boost my press. I could cut out the Wednesday pressing and hit the shrugs real heavy instead. That's also the day when I'm doing stiff-legged deads. We'll have to see about rows, I guess...

EDIT: Matt how 'bout "Pendlay" rows instead of SLDLs?
    Last edited by nisora33; 03-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Those looked very easy, and your back angle is similar to how most people's is for a conventional DL. For the same reason, I'll be seeing how semi-sumo works for me Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    I use the semi-sumo stance due to the length of my legs (legs too long for my body/real high-waisted). Consequently, this is the best my deadlift has ever felt. It feels like I was meant to pull this way.
    Hmmm, I also have long legs/short torso for my height. It took me forever to get enough flexibility in my hamstrings to be able to get into lumbar extension for deadlifts. I guess I could have been doing sumo all this time, which makes me feel like an idiot.

I suppose you give up a little low back training doing sumo, but obviously there are other ways to make up for that.

looks very similar to my first attempt minus the sumo. protracting the shoulders and almost "pushing" the bar away before extending the lower back really helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6YK_SFlgU

and i do feel a lot more soreness in my lats, as well.

starting strength coach development program
    I found out that I have disproportionately long legs too & short arms through training. I had never noticed it before.

Sumo "feels" much better for me, I need a very wide stance in both squat & deadlift to allow back to enable extension of lower back.

I have always focused on the conventional though as I felt sumo was somehow cheating and would not have carry over to cleans. But the fact is, even with a round back I can always pull significantly more conventional. It feels like much more muscle both in the legs and back, is used in the sumo.

I did my last session of persistent experimenting today, I have decided to reset and switch to moderate sumo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast