starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WFAC Recap

Default WFAC Recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    WFAC hosted this weekend’s Starting Strength Seminar and like the chick wearing those ruby red slippers says, “There’s no place like home.” This means most of the crew is happier because they are sleeping in their own beds and are not subjected to the “security” circus called the TSA (unfortunately not this crew member but the important ones, like Rip.) We had a pleasant amount of Texans with us and a few others like Paul from Brooklyn who seemed unusually likeable considering he’s from Brooklyn.

It was quickly realized, based on the questions Friday night, that we had some thinkers in the room and the discussions from their inquiries were some of the finest to date. We had the opportunity to work with a handful of coaches who are in the infancy of their training and coaching and whose eyes were opened up to the fact that they may have been teaching some barbell movements incredibly inefficiently and ineffectively. I give large amounts of credit to the coach who admits to his paying clients that there’s a more efficient way to train and get stronger than what they’ve been doing previously.

Good Ryan came back to see us after having such a good time in December (Bad Ryan wasn’t so much “bad” as he is “devilish”. A distinction I feel important to make.) G.R. commented on the detail given to the Anatomy and Biomechanics lectures were far more helpful and he not only was able to solidify what he previously learned but he was also able to take it all in more completely with the expanded time given to such important issues. And it’s always a pleasure to meet up with folks who are a part of Starting Strength and 70’s Big forums.

Finally, we had Kathy from KC who has been a key ingredient to the discussion of paying close attention to the anthropometry of your athletes. Her femurs and tibia’s contributed to (I’m guessing) aboot 4 ½’ of her 6’ height and the laughing gods gave her about aboot 8 inches of a back length. The story of how her former (I hope) trainer tried to force her into a conventional deadlift set up is legendary and it was a valuable lesson for all of us to watch her lift.

We appreciate ya’ll making the trek to the home gym, we’ll be here again in the late spring. Remember, if you’re in the area and would like to come and train to ensure you’re effectively using what you’ve learned here, give a holla. We (and by “we” I mean “they”) would be happy to have you come down.

If you were there, feel free to comment or post pictures (Tom C…you took zillions. Let’s see some of them.)

jp

p.s. I have some great pics but they are not uploading for some reason. I'll figure it out (and by figure it out I mean I'll send them to Stef and see if she'll throw them on here for me.) Stay tuned...

Pictures coming soon.

And like Bad Ryan's name needed a distinction, so does mine. I'm not so much "good" as I am "dang good". Haha I kid.
    But seriously the seminar was awesome, and thanks a ton to all of yall for putting it on. The new format was great, and I didnt feel like I was just going to another Basic Barbell seminar. We'll see how I do on the test though...Haha. When are yall coming out with a 'level 2' or something or other? That would be cool.
    Tom, hurry up with those pics!

I am not sure what events led to me being dubbed "Bad Ryan", but I will accept my fate and soldier on. Seriously though... the seminar was amazing. I left a much better lifter and coach than when I arrived. I can’t wait to get back to my gym and put what I’ve learned into practice. I want to thank all the hosts for their patience and willingness to impart knowledge. I think the crew struck a great balance between lecture and hands on coaching which were both equally invaluable. I highly recommend this seminar. Also as a bonus you get to hang out with some really great people.

I'm going to second Good Ryan's request for a level 2 seminar (or something of that nature). After lifting at the incredible WFAC facility, I would use any opportunity available to make a return visit.

Another big thanks to Rip, Stef, Juli, Justin, and Brian. You guys are awesome.

The Starting Strength Seminar was really good. I went to the CrossFit Barbell version almost two years ago, got a lot out of it, and was interested in a refresher. The expanded curriculum improved upon what was already a very solid base. We spent two and a half days focused on the five lifts and it was engaging from start to finish. Rippetoe has organized the material based on first principles and builds on those ideas throughout the weekend. He's an engaging speaker, a very perceptive coach, and he really makes a solid case for performing the lifts as he recommends.

Of special interest to coaches is the emphasis placed on how to cue the lifts in an effective manner. Not only do you get to learn the theory behind the movements and perform them correctly, you also get a lot of info on how best to teach them.

Rippetoe's staff were all top notch and excellent coaches themselves. Julie was especially good. If you were taking too long to explain something, or not doing it effectively, you would hear about it. She let nothing slide. This was not a cheerleading session. This was focused work on how to lift and teach better.

It's not cheap, but if you are interested in this material, I can recommend the seminar without hesitation. It was money very well spent.

Now for the pics. Of primary interest will be the shots I took during the lifting sessions. A few of my favorites can be found below:

http://tomcampitelli.zenfolio.com/p1038650503

For anyone interested in what downtown Wichita Falls looks like, I spent the early part of Friday taking some shots there. Wichita Falls is a neat town, but the downtown is curiously abandoned and full of vacant buildings. I was shooting from late morning through early afternoon and there were very few people anywhere. It had rained earlier and was rather cloudy, so everything looks pretty lonely.

http://tomcampitelli.zenfolio.com/p560844634

Lastly, a sample or two for those that don't want to follow the links above.

For anyone interested in what downtown Wichita Falls looks like, I spent the early part of Friday taking some shots there. Wichita Falls is a neat town, but the downtown is curiously abandoned and full of vacant buildings.
    Downtown looks like what most of them look like after highways are built that bypass the area, the gov't undermines surrounding neighborhoods with subsidization and the rest of town is growing away from the area.

I really enjoyed the photos Tom, thanks.

Ditto. Great photos Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to thank Stef, Juli, Brian, Justin, and of course Rip for putting on such a great seminar. I learned a lot and met some really good people. Thanks to Tom for the pics, they turned out well. Now I'm off to do some more answerin' on the exam...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast