starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to work for a 1-rep max Bench Press?

Default Best way to work for a 1-rep max Bench Press?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any help you guys could provide me here would be appreciated.

I am 28 years old, 6'3", 192 pounds currently.

I have lifted with my upper body off and on since high school (never did legs) and became pretty strong up there despite being very skinny and lanky at 6'3" 160 pounds.

At the beginning of 2009 I finally started lifting consistently (still only upper body) for the first time and eating more and got a 275 pound 1 rep bench press in October of last year. (Touch and go, not paused). I weighed about 182 at that time so it was a 1.5 bodyweight effort.

After that I messed around with Crossfit for a few months and quickly realized I didn't like it and that I needed to get big and strong, espeically in my lower body. Luckily I found Starting Strength and started that in February.

My squats, deadlifts, and power cleans are still in very novice stages so I am plugging along with linear progression there.

However, my bench is more advanced. Despite that though, I am still seeing good progression with it just doing normal novice programming where I rotate Bench Press and Shoulder Press every other workout. This is probably due to the added bodyweight and the added testosterone and Hormone boost I am getting from Squats, Deadlifts, and GOMAD.

A lifetime goal of mine has always been a 1-rep max of 315 pounds. 3 plates a side for the bench just seems to be a great achievement to me. A friend of mine and I have challenged each other to see who can get there first.

What do you think the best way for me to get there is?

Last night I got 235x5x3 fairly easily. As of now, my plan is to keep using linear progression until I get to around 260x5x3 (it would be Late March/Early April if I don't stall). After I get there I was going to switch to 5 sets of 3 for a few workouts, still trying to progress linearly. Then whenever I felt confident enough, just go for the 315 one workout, hopefully by Memorial Day.

Is this a flawed strategy? Should I use linear progression longer? Not as long?
    Should I switch to the Texas Method after I get to 260x5x3 so that I can use Fridays as a PR day?

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Briks42; 03-02-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added information

Read Practical Programming. Use linear progression as long as you can (it's the fastest way to improve), then go to the Texas Method. There's no reason to have a particular number or date in mind to end linear progression, just go until it no longer works.

Yeah, I've read PP. I am going to go right back to Linear Progression after getting my 315 max if I still have gains to make there. I am just wondering if there is a more effective method for getting a better 1-rep max. I know that Linear Progression is the best method for getting stronger as long as you can do it.

Basically I just have this "contest" with a friend that is just something fun we are doing. After that I won't be worrying about 1-rep maxes for a while.

Continue to use linear progression, then when you get to the point where you can do 275x5, go for 315 on a day when the weights feel light. You should be good for it, then.

To work up to the max, do something like:

8x135 WU
    6x185 WU
    4x225 WU
    2x255
    1x285
    1x300
    1x315

Do you think its beneficial to do a few "heavier workouts" in between the 275x5x3 and the 315x1 to get my body used to the higher weights? Because even if a chart shows that 275x5x3 should make it easy enough to get 315x1, I'm worried my body wouldn't be ready for 315 since I will never have lifted more than 275 in any set before.

The best way to train for a 1 rep max is probably by doing heavy 1 rep sets periodically.

With that said, if you are on a novice progression, it probably makes no sense to do that because as a novice a 1RM is not a true 1RM.

If I were you, I would just take my time and get to 315 when I get to 315 on my progression instead of racing to it against someone. I would focus on continuing my progression and getting quality training in.

If you guys want to have a contest, you should set a date and then, have a bench contest to see who has the biggest 1 RM...and don't put a number on it. Better to NOT set limitations.

My honest opinion is though that you should focus on your other lifts as you have already stated that they are lagging. You should stop the silly bench press games and you should eat because 6'3" 192 sounds, well, skinny : ( Maybe have a squat contest with your friend instead to help motivate you to train properly.

Thanks for the advice guys.

You are right Dwayne. I am skinny and do focus on my lower body more. I am doing my squats and deadlifts and eating as much as I can. I am doing that all that regardless though. This is just something else I am doing for fun.

Linear progression will be faster than Texas Method or other programs almost by definition. We're in the first week of March and you can't really know how soon you'll fall off linear progression. You could collapse in 4 weeks or 8 weeks. One thing you do have to be careful of is that, when you stall on a pressing movement, you regress for at least couple weeks on this style of programming. That is bad if it happens close to when you want to peak. So beware on that count.

Helpful stuff to know: the bench responds really well to gains in bodyweight. At 6'3", you need to get to 242# in bodyweight as fast as you can. I know you think that's a lot, probably, but I'm that height and I look gaunt at 220 and it's not until I'm 240 that I look reasonable. Right now I'm in the 250s and should be shooting for more.
    Also: if you do change programming, bench responds to volume better than intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Linear progression will be faster than Texas Method or other programs almost by definition. We're in the first week of March and you can't really know how soon you'll fall off linear progression. You could collapse in 4 weeks or 8 weeks. One thing you do have to be careful of is that, when you stall on a pressing movement, you regress for at least couple weeks on this style of programming. That is bad if it happens close to when you want to peak. So beware on that count.

Helpful stuff to know: the bench responds really well to gains in bodyweight. At 6'3", you need to get to 242# in bodyweight as fast as you can. I know you think that's a lot, probably, but I'm that height and I look gaunt at 220 and it's not until I'm 240 that I look reasonable. Right now I'm in the 250s and should be shooting for more.
    Also: if you do change programming, bench responds to volume better than intensity.

Thanks, good stuff here. I dont think 240 sounds like a lot at 6'3. I'm still very skinny and that is after gaining 30+ pounds in the last year or so without even trying really hard. Another 50 or 60 pounds sounds good to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Do you think its beneficial to do a few "heavier workouts" in between the 275x5x3 and the 315x1 to get my body used to the higher weights? Because even if a chart shows that 275x5x3 should make it easy enough to get 315x1, I'm worried my body wouldn't be ready for 315 since I will never have lifted more than 275 in any set before.
    Yes. Get used to some lower rep sets, doubles or triples, as you near your goal.

Other considerations:
    --if you're not already using a spotter, you will probably want to get used to using one, and find someone you can trust, for a single rep max;
    --because there is some lag in the body's adaptation response to training, keep lifting but don't do any real heavy or high volume workouts during the week before your max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast