starting strength gym

Thread: Freaking out about depth

Angry Freaking out about depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok,

I've been having issues with depth since day one. I did a 10% deload today to try to get back down in the hole and bloody just stopped every time at parallel unless I let things go slack.

I've tried stance variations, knees out with my elbows stretch to get the feel of that, continued to stretch my hamstrings, and I'm just not getting there.

Based on all of the comments Rip has made about depth (see today's latest below if you missed it), I am beginning to think I just don't have a clue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know anybody in Louisville, and we just don't have depth problems when we teach people how to squat at our seminars. Occasionally someone is high for the first few sets, but this is always solved by the last work set. If you're having problems that knees-out hasn't fixed, I'd have to see it.
    Is it possible I'm just overly concerned here, and should just keep going up in weight and let the work keep stretching me out? It seems like I'd be there by now, but being an older guy (almost 40), maybe not?

Here's a vid of a relatively recent lift for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7esqkxn2U

Wait, what's the problem? They all look below parallel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Wait, what's the problem? They all look below parallel to me.
    I agree. The first rep of the second set (first set in the video) looks a tad high, but the depth improves afterwards. The first rep of your third work set looks pretty damn solid.

I did notice some head movement that could be affecting your hip drive and back angle some. I have trouble with this as well...halfway through the drive up I have a bad habit of shifting my gaze upward.

Also, the hand/wrist positioning could use a bit of work. The correct positioning comes naturally to me and I have no experience coaching it, so I will leave that to the more experienced members of the board.

Really?
    Damn. They look all parallel or freakin higher to me. hmmm...
    Ok, maybe I'm just A) blind as well as deaf B) too much of a damn perfectionist C) Illiterate D) all the above.

So maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. I thought I was looking for the hip crease to be below the top of the knee?

S81 - agree about hand wrist position. Something else I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Really?
    Damn. They look all parallel or freakin higher to me. hmmm...
    Ok, maybe I'm just A) blind as well as deaf B) too much of a damn perfectionist C) Illiterate D) all the above.

So maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. I thought I was looking for the hip crease to be below the top of the knee?

So are we.

lol... so, option A. ok then. Recalibrating my freaking eyeballs. Thanks.

I'm gonna go chalk this experience up to my inexperience.

A) blind as well as deaf B) too much of a damn perfectionist
    A little of both? I did my best with paint to illustrate your depth being bellow parallel. Keep in mind due to perspective your depth isn't quite as good as the lines I drew in make it look, but it is still bellow parallel.

Just try not to dive bomb into your squat so much. Going down faster won't help with depth, it will just make you more unstable. This doesn't mean you need to go super slow, but... well you know what I mean!

Get your palms on the bar, not your fingers. And I mean the base of your palm, almost on your wrist. It will make you stretch more but be much more secure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice visual. I should have thought of looking at it like that. It's tough not to be overly critical of form. Since I'm older, I don't want to sacrifice form for progress, since it does me no good if I screw myself up (beyond normal injury) during the process of getting stronger. Thanks guys.

I can really appreciate where you're coming from being a stickler about form.....and honestly If Rip wants to tear you a new asshole over small details, then listen, because that's how he rolls. But cue's and honing of form dont mean ceasing progress. Your squat should constantly be being honed and worked on throughout all of your years of lifting. You don't just reach it, then poof, you got it. It's a continuing process..... Perfect is the enemy of good.

starting strength coach development program
    You are falling forward on your ascent it looks like. Stay balanced over your midfoot. Try lifting your toes to try to fix this.