starting strength gym

Thread: Anybody else had this problem: "Handsy" Squats

Default Anybody else had this problem: "Handsy" Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm squatting with record weights (for me, obviously) and this shit is getting quite hard.

As a result, I find myself pushing the bar with my hands when coming out of the hole on the last few reps. This is just an unconscious reaction -- every fiber in my body is trying to help get the damn bar up. So I don't even really notice it all the time.

But I think it's affecting my carry position a bit and as a result I'm experiencing some mild elbow pain.

I'd like to cut this out before things get worse. Anybody else go through this and if so, what cue did you use to fix things?

I'm thinking of raising my elbows even higher so that my wrists are on the bar -- look at Rip's right hand in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc -- but it looks a little less secure.

Thoughts?

his wrists aren't on the bar. the bottom, outside part of each palm is resting on the bar, and most of his hand is above it. thumbs and index fingers aren't really touching the bar at all. it's the same grip i, and many others, use, and it makes it very hard to support weight with the hands.

so i would try it.

Cool. I'll give it a go on Friday.

Do you mean you're pushing (pulling?) the bar downward in a failed attempt to pull yourself upward?

I was doing this for a while and was getting horrendous elbow pain. Search "Battered Left Elbow" about my issue. You'll literally find every possible cue/solution to fix the problem. For me it was remembering to keep elbows up during the slow grinding sticking point.

No, sometimes I find myself pulling down on the bar but usually it's a case of trying to push the bar up.

Yeah, I found the "battered" thread after making my post. Lot of good stuff in there so I'm hoping to have this corrected tomorrow.

Thanks.