starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who DLs w/ a Hook Grip?

Default Who DLs w/ a Hook Grip?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently converted. I'm trying some volume work on my deadlift as well, pulling 4-5 sets of 5 from a 4" block, but that is the topic of another thread.

Anyway, my hook grip is now stronger than the mixed grip which pulls me out of form a bit too. From only training one side on the mixed grip, my right hand is significantly weaker if I go underhand on that side as well. I really don't care about this, and I'm happy sticking w/ the hook grip.

My main question is I'm getting some nasty calluses that are about ready to rip due to the folding and the higher volume. I can avoid the folding w/ the mixed grip, but my form is so much better w/ the hook grip. Does anybody have any advice.

I'm thinking just cut the calluses out, but it will be bare and painful for a couple days and see what happens when it heals. Otherwise, I really think this is going to be an issue if I keep pulling from the hook grip.

1. What are the blocks made of that you're pulling off of?

2. Can you 'sand' your calluses down at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    2. Can you 'sand' your calluses down at all?
    This is one way to do it.

http://www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm

TBH I just cut mine off with a nail clipper, which leaves a fairly thin layer of skin for a week. Painful as all hell doing dealifts with only that thin layer. But I'm pretty lazy, so I keep doing it that way.

I'm only at 285# for my DL, but I switch between hook and dbl overhand. The hook really pressures the thumb and I'm wondering if I don't have the bar far enough down into the "hook" of my fingers, with the thumb too far under the bar and taking a good share of the weight.
    As far as calluses, I learned from ultradistance running, after getting some very painful blood blisters underneath calluses on my feet, to keep a callus file handy (found in most good foot care sections of drug stores) at home and some sort of lotion. The files usually have a coarse side and a finer filing side. Keep them filed flat, don't let them build higher than the palmar surface. Use just enough lotion to keep the skin's elasticity and suppleness intact, but not so much that they get too soft. Haven't had to cut or trim a callus in a very long time. Use more chalk to help fill in crevices when lifting.

The 'blocks' I am pulling from are some old stretching mats at a college gym. Folded up they work well.

I usually clip my calluses off w/ the fingernail clippers. For the past 3 weeks, I've been doing these w/ the hook grip and the callus that is usually easily manageable is much bigger than what I've encountered previously. I think its beyond repair and if I try to trim it, the whole thing will just come off and leave fresh skin underneath it.

I have a callus razor which isn't as effective as the nail clippers and a pumice stone. Both take way too much time compared to the nail clippers. I think I will give them both a try again and see if I can get it down to a manageable level.

I will look for a file and some lotion and try to take better care of it in the future. I also think some lotion and a good filing may work well.

I'm also thinking I may be able to set the hook grip w/o the fold, but previously I have been more concerned w/ just hanging on to the weight. I did 425x5x5 today w/o any pain in the thumb. Last week I had to cut it short, due to too much thumb pain, so I'm adjusting to it rather quickly I think.

My hands are small though and I think if I could set the hook grip w/o the fold I would have figured it out by now?

Quote Originally Posted by theuofh View Post
    I recently converted. I'm trying some volume work on my deadlift as well, pulling 4-5 sets of 5 from a 4" block, but that is the topic of another thread.

Anyway, my hook grip is now stronger than the mixed grip which pulls me out of form a bit too. From only training one side on the mixed grip, my right hand is significantly weaker if I go underhand on that side as well. I really don't care about this, and I'm happy sticking w/ the hook grip.

My main question is I'm getting some nasty calluses that are about ready to rip due to the folding and the higher volume. I can avoid the folding w/ the mixed grip, but my form is so much better w/ the hook grip. Does anybody have any advice.

I'm thinking just cut the calluses out, but it will be bare and painful for a couple days and see what happens when it heals. Otherwise, I really think this is going to be an issue if I keep pulling from the hook grip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Default hook

I use hook all the time. The only issue I have is my left thumb currently has a wart in the pad I am trying to get rid of that hurts when I pull heavier.

As for the callouses, sand them with a pumice stone right out of the shower 2-3 times per week to keep any ridges off (they are softer then, and easier to take down). I recommend against cutting them though - too easy to go too deep, which has all kinds of crappy consequences. Just work on them regularly, and you'll find a good comfort zone.

I do

Quote Originally Posted by theuofh View Post

I do, but I can't say I've had any problems with calluses.

starting strength coach development program
    I did but my grip started to slip when I reached ~220 kg. Mixed is much more secure IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast