starting strength gym

Thread: Low Bar Question with Pic

Default Low Bar Question with Pic

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is this too low? Keep in mind I'm 6'7. I'm experimenting with extremely low bar.... my squats today were a breeze.

Last edited by WatsupHannity; 03-07-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Hosting problem :(

This is basically as low as the bar can go... I was at a gym with bars that have no knurl in the middle of the bar at all, so the bar slid down to this position when I began the lift.

that bruising looks too low. And if the bar slid down then that's your confirmation.

Yeah I figured. It felt so damn easy though... no strain on my lumbar and I could just push right through the bar as I dusted the weight.

Being very tall is not the greatest attribute to have for squatting I suspect.

I know what you mean. I experimented with lower bar positions and loved it. just not stable tho

Is there anything theoretically wrong with very low bar position, in terms of doing the exercise properly? Assume I can hold the bar there solidly.

(Just to clarify, the bar slid during the warmup sets-- that's when I realized I wouldn't be able to rest the bar at its normal position; from that point on I began the sets with the bar set to that low-low position)

I think the answer is instability and stress on wrists and elbows. I assume you eventually reach a weight where these become problematic.

The lower the bar is, the more stress on shoulders, arms, etc. High bar is essentially no stress to your shoulder and arms. Also, at a certain point, it's just not secure. But the lowest you can securely go = the heaviest you can lift, though the lower you go, also the harder it is to hit parallel.

Watsuphannity - Rip addressed an issue similar to yours in this thread:

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=13694

Geoff really already covered everything, but hope you find it helpful nonetheless.
    Last edited by Gaucho; 03-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I have to fix the same problem with bar position. My have marks at about the same place on my back; I thought it was acceptable, but the bar almost slid out of my hand during my last squat session. Also, I noticed that I was really leaning over pretty far to get below parallel.