starting strength gym

Thread: beginner learning to squat and depth

Default beginner learning to squat and depth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Apart from doing that elbow between knee stretch, and just squatting, what other things can be done to help a beginner attain proper depth? And til depth is attained is it recommended to go as low as possible (even if that is quite high) and keep adding weight?

have someone here who raises his heel off the ground while attempting to squat, and can't break parallel just yet. it's a matter of flexibility, i realise, but i'm asking how to deal with it.

many thanks.

The offending culprit is usually the hamstring. Have him stretch those

Ok, stretch as in as a warmup or for several sets?

get a box or a ball or something they can sit down onto that is at a good squat depth. Having a target really helps some people.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    have someone here who raises his heel off the ground while attempting to squat, and can't break parallel just yet. it's a matter of flexibility
    I don't think the heel raising is a flexibility issue (if it is, it's dorsiflexion flexibility).

As suggested above, try using a box, and having him sit back. When he's not worried about falling on his ass, he'll be able to keep his weight on his heels.

Read Active Hip 2.0... I am going thru the same issue now and this helped me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    Read Active Hip 2.0... I am going thru the same issue now and this helped me.
    +1 many people need a wider stance or more greatly angled feet than they realise to get the full range of motion from the hip. The article explains some of that.

In regards to the stretching, I would say the best way to do it is focusing on good form with the squats. Be absolutley certain that lower back stays tight, knees are pushed out and the trainee descends to the maximum depth possible. The depth will increase over time and become more comfortable.

A few stretches for hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, adductors & calves can be a bit useful. But overall I think the necessity of stretching for squats is way overstated. In my case, I gave my self a serious case of hamstring tendonitis by stretching to strongly & often when really I just needed to use a different stance.