starting strength gym

Thread: Another Texax Method DE Programming Check

Default Another Texax Method DE Programming Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had a lot of success with SS novice programming (gained about 40 lbs and strength to go with it) and have been using texas method programming for the last 10 weeks. I'm having trouble striking a balance between work and recovery and would like help in altering the program I'm currently following.

I currently weigh about 200lbs (at 5 11) and my best lifts thus far have been squat 320x5, deadlift 390x5, bench 215x5 and powerclean 185x5x3.

After following a basic novice routine for about 1 year, I switched over to a texas method program:

Day 1

• Squat 5x5
    • Bench 5x5
    • Powerclean 5x3

Day 2

• Light Squat 2x5 (80% of day 1)
    • Press 3x3
    • Weighted Pullups 3x3

Day 3

• Squat 5RM
    • Bench 5RM
    • Deadlift 5RM

I hit a peak about 5 weeks into the program followed immediately by a regression in my squatting ability. My squat, DL and powerclean numbers are currently stalled though my bench is increasing. I'd like to start incorporating dynamic effort lifts - to aid in my recovery, add variation (for entertainment value) and develop more power.

After reading PPST and thumbing through PPST2 this is what I've come up with... I'd love to know what you and the forum members think:

Day 1

• Squat 3x5
    • Bench 5x5
    • Powerclean 5x3

Day 2

• Light Squat 2x5 (80% of day 1)
    • DE Press 10x3
    • DE Weighted Pullups 10x3

Day 3

• DE Squat 10x2
    • DE Bench 10x3
    • DE Deadlift 15x1

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 03-10-2010 at 10:25 PM.

are you still alternating your press and your bench on a weekly basis? You are still supposed to be having A weeks and B weeks.

I'm currently doing DE sets on press and bench, and I've also found fiddling with the sets/reps on monday can be helpful. For example, I'm now doing 6 sets of 4 on my pressing movements.

I would say leave the recovery day as it was as long as you are alternating presses with benching on a weekly basis.

Are you doing the DE sets on a timer?

Also, P/C's should be 5 sets of 3.

I haven't been alternating the pressing excercises, I'll definitely try that if my bench gets stuck. The powercleans are 5 sets of 3 in the above program... but I have been playing around with sets of two with higher weight on some weeks.

Also, I am using a timer - sorry I didn't indicate that above... and all the DE sets will be some percentage of my 1RM though I'm not exactly sure what yet - I'll probably start on the lower end of the percentages recommend by PPST then move my way up over the weeks.

Would you guys still put heavy deadlifts somewhere in a program like this? Perhaps alternating with the DE DLs on day 3?

Definitely.

But you really should alternate benches with SOHP's to avoid fucking up your shoulders.

If you have PP2, check out the split routine in the back for a good idea of how much to use on the DE's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexF View Post
    I've had a lot of success with SS novice programming (gained about 40 lbs and strength to go with it) and have been using texas method programming for the last 10 weeks. I'm having trouble striking a balance between work and recovery and would like help in altering the program I'm currently following.

I currently weigh about 200lbs (at 5 11) and my best lifts thus far have been squat 320x5, deadlift 390x5, bench 215x5 and powerclean 185x5x3.

I hit a peak about 5 weeks into the program followed immediately by a regression in my squatting ability. My squat, DL and powerclean numbers are currently stalled though my bench is increasing. I'd like to start incorporating dynamic effort lifts - to aid in my recovery, add variation (for entertainment value) and develop more power.

After reading PPST and thumbing through PPST2 this is what I've come up with... I'd love to know what you and the forum members think:
    Are you my twin??? We are almost the same height and weight and strength levels...and it sounds like your experience was the same as mine. I progressed great on the Texas Method and was really feeling good and then hit a wall...especially on the squat. I took a break and I modified the program similar to what you are looking at and made progress for about 4 more weeks. Now, I'm still a little stuck so not sure if the changes I made were the best, but...

Since my issue was mainly just the squat also, I only modified the squat part of the workouts. So, I dropped volume day down to 3 sets of 5 like you and changed out intensity day for DE squat sets. I kept deadlifts and bench press and press routines the same as normal texas method (well, I dropped to 3RM sets instead of 5RM).