starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squats (FIXED??) and a big deadlift PR.

Default Squats (FIXED??) and a big deadlift PR.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Turns out I needed my stance to be narrower, not wider, with my toes out more. Still trying to fix my bad head position habbit. I correct myself mid-set on each of them.

knees still need some work, but it is much better, and i feel a lot stronger... glad i was able to push through the sticking point.

and yes, i know i don't have lifting shoes on. working on it...

The deadlift has a little trouble with my ass moving up to fast, but this isn't terrible, as the weight is already off the ground when it happens. Just need to focus on pushing longer with my quads. Big PR. Am I missing anything else?

in the words of jack black...SHADOOSH.

Squats BEFORE - 230 (thursday)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4mf__Ue1M

Squats AFTER - 230 (today)
    Set 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI05GRzJFTQ

Set 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfIgotWve8

Set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ipB6_-0PA

Deadlift: 285
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adamclon.../0/5wHOBmbCf0s
    Last edited by tweakxc03; 03-13-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Turns out I needed my stance to be narrower, not wider, with my toes out more. Still trying to fix my bad head position habbit. I correct myself mid-set on each of them.

knees still need some work, but it is much better, and i feel a lot stronger... glad i was able to push through the sticking point.

and yes, i know i don't have lifting shoes on. working on it...

The deadlift has a little trouble with my ass moving up to fast, but this isn't terrible, as the weight is already off the ground when it happens. Just need to focus on pushing longer with my quads. Big PR. Am I missing anything else?

SHADOOSH.

Squats: 230
    Set 1

Set 2

Set 3

Deadlift: 285
    is there supposed to be video links here or something????

yes. it posted by accident. videos uploading now...

Yeah, you need to work on holding the back angle on the deadlift. It's not better if the bar's off the ground, it's worse. And you need shoes. It's probably not so bad to lack proper shoes on the deadlift, since a lot of people lift without a heel and you need all the advantage you can get in terms of getting closer to the ground at your height, but it's important for the squat.

Also, you might need to work on keeping the chest up on the squat a little. I only looked at #1, which didn't have a great view.

Only watched the second set of your newest squats, and they look pretty good. Good work.

-S

ok thanks. I'll work on the back angle on the deadlift and chest up on the squats.

and i will get shoes

Good work; way to make the necessary adjustments. Get the shoes when you feel you can. Some things in life are more important than others. Your lifts, while maybe not at an optimum, will still progress. I'm still using Chuck Taylor high tops and will for some time to come. I'm very comfortable in them and like the feel of the lifts in them for now.
    A belt is in my immediate future though. With a 13 year old son growing rapidly, playing baseball, and a daughter not far behind, on a swim team, and trying to put together a home gym, shoes are not happening for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lofton View Post
    Good work; way to make the necessary adjustments. Get the shoes when you feel you can. Some things in life are more important than others. Your lifts, while maybe not at an optimum, will still progress. I'm still using Chuck Taylor high tops and will for some time to come. I'm very comfortable in them and like the feel of the lifts in them for now.
    A belt is in my immediate future though. With a 13 year old son growing rapidly, playing baseball, and a daughter not far behind, on a swim team, and trying to put together a home gym, shoes are not happening for a while.
    I used oly shoes exclusively for ~3 years, and found that, when switching back to flat soled shoes, might have actually been a little stronger in them. I strongly disagree with the commonly expressed sentiment around here that oly shoes are a must for squatting - this has to depend hugely on one's anthropometry.

I.e. I can see a case in using them for people with long femurs relative to their torso (e.g. a lot of tall dudes), since they tend to get pretty bent over in a low bar squat, and a heel will keep them a bit more upright. But how about the very common long torso, short legged types (e.g. me)? Probably a lot less useful.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I used oly shoes exclusively for ~3 years, and found that, when switching back to flat soled shoes, might have actually been a little stronger in them. I strongly disagree with the commonly expressed sentiment around here that oly shoes are a must for squatting - this has to depend hugely on one's anthropometry.

I.e. I can see a case in using them for people with long femurs relative to their torso (e.g. a lot of tall dudes), since they tend to get pretty bent over in a low bar squat, and a heel will keep them a bit more upright. But how about the very common long torso, short legged types (e.g. me)? Probably a lot less useful.
    What about oly shoes that have the heel cut down to be flat?

I think a lot of the emphasis on using oly shoes has to do with the stability of the shoes, not just the heel lift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post

Everyone that squats heavy will do so better in a good pair of lifting shoes. Now depending on anthropometry some will do better with more or less of a heel, this is true, but this does not mean barefoot. There is a reason the worlds best lifters wear them.

And as a side not the OP has long femurs and is a person that very much needs a good pair of lifting shoes to aid in squat stability and form.

Deadlifts on the other hand... I think certain body types can do without any heel at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast