starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question: weight to use for 1x5 vs 3x5

Default Question: weight to use for 1x5 vs 3x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My Olympic lifting coach has changed one day of my 3x5 sets across for back squat to one set of 5 reps only.

My question is how much weight should I use for the 1x5 day? Last back squat session I did 235 lbs for sets across.

Thanks!

Well... what's his reasoning? It's different if he changed the program to give you a break by decreasing volume than if he changed the program to give you a day where you go for a 5RM.

He tweaked my whole program to reduce volume. So I need to go heavy on the 1x5 day and then do 85% of that weight on the 3x5 day. And then heavy on the front squat day for 3x3.

Why doesn't your coach help you?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Why doesn't your coach help you?
    gee, thanks. because i haven't thought of that. i work out tomorrow BEFORE i get to see him.

it's a simple question really (especially after gzt asked for more info). if you know the answer, i would appreciate your input. otherwise, i think we should spend our time actually being productive.
    Last edited by tamiki; 03-15-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Just start conservatively with something you know you can hit and increase from there. Maybe 10lbs more than your 3x5

Quote Originally Posted by tamiki View Post
    gee, thanks. because i haven't thought of that. i work out tomorrow BEFORE i get to see him.

it's a simple question really (especially after gzt asked for more info). if you know the answer, i would appreciate your input. otherwise, i think we should spend our time actually being productive.
    That was a legit question, and now I know the answer. Point is, you have a coach, it should be easier to get his intent from him than from someone on a forum. You are lucky to have a coach.
    Have you ever done a 1RM test? It's a good basis for figuring things like this out.
    There are charts you can use to approximate things like this if you know your 1RM. They are very generalized and in the end you are probably going to just have to make an educated guess. Some of that is covered in PP in the Level of Effort chart, but you have to do some backward figuring sometimes to get to the info you need based on percentages of 1RM or 5RM. I don't have the material in front of me now but I learned how to do the figuring when I have to. And, as I said, it's an educated guess and no more. In the end, try to pick a weight you will be successful with.
    I keep a 1RM chart and a % chart when I'm at the gym. That way I don't have to think as hard.
    If you really want more information on how I do it I'd be glad to help. I'd like to see what others do as well.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 03-15-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Point is, you have a coach, it should be easier to get his intent from him than from someone on a forum. You are lucky to have a coach.
    okay, thanks. no hard feelings. i am lucky, my coach is a USAW Senior International coach. the intent is simply to reduce the volume.

Have never done 1RM. I will try 250 lbs for 1x5 and then 85% or 212.5 for sets across 3x5 the next work out, and built up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiki View Post
    My Olympic lifting coach has changed one day of my 3x5 sets across for back squat to one set of 5 reps only.

My question is how much weight should I use for the 1x5 day? Last back squat session I did 235 lbs for sets across.

Thanks!
    I think this is further evidence of Olympic coaches not properly emphasizing strength development. We don't know how tall or heavy you are, but for most folks, 235 lbs for sets across is not the point at which you need to do anything besides add 5 lbs to the bar and do a 3x5 again next session. Whatever we think, however, isn't terribly relevant. Trying to listen to more than one coach is not a recipe for success.

starting strength coach development program
    If he wants you to do 3x5 @85% of 1x5, then could you go for 1x5 @115% (~1/85%) of your current 3x5? Reasonable?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast