starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, finally got a camera. I'm looking at you, Nisora.

This was my last warm up, a single at 355lbs.
    http://www.vimeo.com/10191426

This is the first work set with 375lbs. Cameraman missed the first rep, caught the last four. The camera angle is different from the camera angle at the warm up set.
    http://www.vimeo.com/10191385

I did two more sets, but they aren't on video. Probably more of the same.

1. I would like comments on squat form. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

2. Which camera angle is the best for future video?

3. Any ideas on how much longer I can push this novice progression?

4. I'm 5'11/6' and weighed in at 239lbs after my workout in a hat, t-shirt, sweatpants, and socks.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by cjangelo; 03-15-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Your squats look pretty damn strong to me. Your stance is wider than the standard shoulder width recommendation, but it does not appear to be hurting you. You can play with it to see if narrower feels better, but there's not a compelling reason to change based on your video. There's not much to critique here.

In general, having your camera man stand at a 45 degree angle to you is a good compromise. It keeps the plates out of the way and we can see hips, knees, and back. Since he was standing up and seems tall, it is impossible to tell if you are going below parallel. I think you are hitting depth each time, but having him take a knee might help with that.

Any ideas on how much longer I can push this novice progression?
    You are already farther along than a lot of people when they run out of gas in the novice stages. The answer is, it depends. Your squats looked really good. I have a feeling you have quite a few more linear jumps ahead of you. Well done.

Thanks, Tom.

With regards to the camera angle, Rip had this to say:

They may be a little high, but I can't tell because Quentin Tarentino shot the video with the rack in the way. If they are high, it would be because your stance is too wide.
    I got a good laugh out of that.

In general, having your camera man stand at a 45 degree angle to you is a good compromise.
    Right on, sounds good.

I think you are hitting depth each time, but having him take a knee might help with that.
    Will do.

Thanks again, Tom.

I didn't notice the depth issue until the end of the video, by which time your cameraperson had moved, so either you were squatting high all along, and we couldn't see it, or you got tired toward the end and started to squat a bit high.

If you were squatting high from the beginning, then experiment--as Rip suggests--with narrowing your stance a bit. If the depth issue is a function of fatigue, you *may* want to still experiment with stance width, but I'd be more inclined to say just let it be, and focus on getting deeper next time.

Good work, hoss.

-S.

I didn't notice the depth issue until the end of the video, by which time your cameraperson had moved, so either you were squatting high all along, and we couldn't see it, or you got tired toward the end and started to squat a bit high.
    Right. Any suggestions on camera angles for the future?

My old lifting partner said to situate the camera where the side judge would be. However, that doesn't necessarily give a good look at what the knees are doing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Video at 45-degrees from behind with the camera positioned at about hip level. Make sense?

-S.

couple cues for positioning the camera are "knee high" and "inline with one foot"

Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    3. Any ideas on how much longer I can push this novice progression?
    Good stuff so far! You and I are about the same point in 3X5 squat workset weights.

I don't know if you are doing this already to help push out the novice progression but you can switch to the advanced novice program and do a "light" 2X5 squat day in the middle of your training week. I was doing this for a while, probably about 4 weeks and then started something new lately.

I just started experimenting with this. So far so good..I've switched from the typical weekly template of MWF to just going in every third day. Example Mon - Thurs - Sun - Wed - Sat - Tues - Fri - repeat. I have done this for three workouts so far and have been able to make 5 lb jumps successfully.

Once this runs out, I think I will truly be ready for the advance novice.

Video at 45-degrees from behind with the camera positioned at about hip level. Make sense?
    Yeah, sounds good to me. Thanks, pal.

couple cues for positioning the camera are "knee high" and "inline with one foot"
    Yep, same as Stace. Thanks.

I don't know if you are doing this already to help push out the novice progression but you can switch to the advanced novice program and do a "light" 2X5 squat day in the middle of your training week. I was doing this for a while, probably about 4 weeks and then started something new lately.
    Yeah yo, I may have to start this. Dude, I did today's workout, 3x5@385lbs. Holy shit, that was hard. I almost missed my 5th rep on both the second and third set. No video.

I'm not sure if I can do this workout on Friday. It will require some heroic eating and sleeping, and tonight is St. Patty's.

here's what i'm considering, and I'll hope some folks will chime in:
    1. Do Friday's workout no matter the circumstances. See what happens.
    2. Do friday's workout only if I feel good.
    3. Do friday's workout on Saturday.
    4. Do friday's workout on Monday. Continue with standard novice progression.
    5. Do number 4, and then start taking a light day 2x5 on wednesday.
    6. Do a light day 2x5 on friday, go heavy again on monday.
    7. Re-set the weight (I almost didn't type this, I don't like this option at all. Bitch option).

Any ideas? Dwayne? Stacey? Anyone?

I just started experimenting with this. So far so good..I've switched from the typical weekly template of MWF to just going in every third day. Example Mon - Thurs - Sun - Wed - Sat - Tues - Fri - repeat. I have done this for three workouts so far and have been able to make 5 lb jumps successfully.

Once this runs out, I think I will truly be ready for the advance novice.
    I dig your style, dude.

starting strength coach development program
    I am slated for 385X5X3 this Friday...good to see someone else in my shoes.

To answer your list:
    1. Don't do this. If you feel like shit and haven't recovered, you aren't going to get it. The whole point of the novice progression is that you recover from workout to workout. At least that is my understanding from PPST.
    2. This one sounds better. Only you know you...so you'll have to have your game face on regardless if you think you feel good or great or whatever.
    3. I'd wait till Saturday if you are still not recovered yet on Friday.
    4. If you opt to do Friday's workout on Monday, then you should still go in on Friday and do "light squats" ( 2 sets of 5 with 295 or so) to keep the motor pattern fresh.
    5. You could do that, or you could go to every third day like I do now.
    6. I think this was my answer in 4.
    7. This is not a "bitch" option...but it sure is the most dejecting one. I personally would not reset unless I had too. I did a reset a while back when I failed on 365 and got injured. I don't want to reset again...It took way too long to get back on track and I'd rather take an extra rest day here or there or do a recovery day here or there and keep progressing than do a reset. I would say reset only if you absolutely failed or get injured, otherwise, find ways to keep the progression going...

I look at it this way 405 is right around the corner. Why would I do anything to stop my progression towards that objective?

So take the rest you need (whether an extra day or a light day and then back on track on Monday)...and hit that 390X5X3.

Almost done with the 300's...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast