starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner - Squat form check

Default Beginner - Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks,

Rank Amature here! Looking to get some constructive feedback on my squat form before I look for my starting weight.

I've never lifted a barbell in my 45 years, so I expect it to be quite sloppy and need much work. But If I am doing it wrong, and using the wrong muscles, then won't my start weight not be accurate, and potential for injury greater?

Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/10196531

- Moto'

Not deep enough -- widen your stance. And put your thumbs on top of the bar (and maybe widen your grip as well). . . your wrists aren't going to like being in that position.

Good luck man.

Hi Tiburon,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure if it is because I'm so tall and lanky, or if I just need to stretch more. Probably a combination of both, but I cannot straiten my wrists while staying inside those 1/8" breaks in the knurl. If I straiten the wrists, the bar is also on my neck. Hopefully, my chest and shoulders will stretch out giving me better wrists. Also my stance will get wider as I stretch my adductors ( which I am currently following the recommended stretching excersise as described on page 14).

But the good news? My thumbs are indeed over the bar.
    Last edited by MotoPsycho; 03-15-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoPsycho View Post
    Hi Tiburon,
    I cannot straiten my wrists while staying inside those 1/8" breaks in the knurl. If I straiten the wrists, the bar is also on my neck.
    There is no rule that you need to be within the marks on the knurl. You can go wider and no one will yell at you.

Also my stance will get wider as I stretch my adductors ( which I am currently following the recommended stretching excersise as described on page 14).
    An even better stretch is having a weight on your back to stretch out your hamstrings and adductors. You have plenty of range of motion to squat right now. No more stretching required.

By your third or fourth rep, things started to improve, but your first couple of reps were very shaky. Add some weight to the bar. Life is too short to just squat 45 lbs and you have plenty of strength and range of motion to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    There is no rule that you need to be within the marks on the knurl. You can go wider and no one will yell at you.
    Hi Tom,

Ah! Right you are! I was under the impression (mistakenly) that the break in the knurl was the max legal grip limit...it is; but after revisiting page 20, it's max for a bench press - Doh! My bad! My wrists have straitened right out.

An even better stretch is having a weight on your back to stretch out your hamstrings and adductors. You have plenty of range of motion to squat right now. No more stretching required.

By your third or fourth rep, things started to improve, but your first couple of reps were very shaky. Add some weight to the bar. Life is too short to just squat 45 lbs and you have plenty of strength and range of motion to do more.
    Understood. Thanks. Along that same vain, because the bar was so light, I was not practicing any breathing techniques, so tightening up with proper breathing will hopefully take some of that wobble out.

Thank you again!

-Moto'
    Last edited by MotoPsycho; 03-16-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Put some 25s on the bar and post another video

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Put some 25s on the bar and post another video
    With all due respect Tiburon, did you even read my post - or watch the vid?

OK, you prolly' watched the video, but on a small laptop or something ( i'll give you the benefit of the doubt about the thumbs comment earlier). Not trying to be too harsh here, perhaps I just expected better advice on these forums. Just like your "U"s and wobbly knees years ago, we all have our form corrections...

But as stated in my initial post - since this is the very first time I've even lifted a barbell, let alone the first time trying to squat with any sort of resemblance of proper form, now you are suggesting I increase 50 pounds and more than double the weight? And that doesn't sound like a recipe for injury to you? Perhaps in the future, once I can work out the kinks in my technique, I'll follow up with that video.

Again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you never read my initial post.

I guess some advice is worth what I paid for it eh?

- Moto'

OK, you prolly' watched the video, but on a small laptop or something ( i'll give you the benefit of the doubt about the thumbs comment earlier). Not trying to be too harsh here, perhaps I just expected better advice on these forums. Just like your "U"s and wobbly knees years ago, we all have our form corrections...

But as stated in my initial post - since this is the very first time I've even lifted a barbell, let alone the first time trying to squat with any sort of resemblance of proper form, now you are suggesting I increase 50 pounds and more than double the weight? And that doesn't sound like a recipe for injury to you? Perhaps in the future, once I can work out the kinks in my technique, I'll follow up with that video.

Again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you never read my initial post.

I guess some advice is worth what I paid for it eh?

- Moto'
    I think you're losing perspective here. 95 lbs isn't going to explode an adult male, and I'm pretty sure you'd be doing sets of 5 with a weight of at least that magnitude in very short order.

Honestly, it's hard to judge form with an empty bar, because it's not enough weight in respect to your own body mass to kind of force you into the mechanics that wind up how you actually squat. I.e. you can lift very light weights in a way that is impossible with heavy for you weights.

Your form really isn't that bad. Maybe a little more knees out, stance moved out just a touch, but we're not going to know much until you start adding some weight to the bar, which I think was his point. As I sometimes explained to people when I trained them, caution in training is a very good thing, but you can't expect perfection out of the gate, you have to be willing to fuck things up a little. It's a learning process, and trust me, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 03-17-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Hi Moto,

I'm with Tiburon and Blowdpanis on this one.
    With such a light weight, you can basically squat in whatever way you like.
    You need a minimum weight to start feel some resistance, and start to really appreciate what your body needs to be doing.

In order to find a good initial stance, it was a great help for me to assume the bottom position (elbows on inside of knees, pushing out) as pictured in the SS book. You might want to try it, it's also good to stretch all the muscles involved.

Some very minor observations:

- carpet is not good for weight lifting, it gives you an unstable platform.
    - loose you watch, you don't need it while squatting.

Best of luck with your lifting.

IPB

PS
    you seem to have some nice wheels in that room, and I'm not talking about the weights.
    Last edited by IlPrincipeBrutto; 03-17-2010 at 08:08 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I read your post
    Yes, I watched your video
    Yes, I even came back to this thread to see the followup discussion

As blowd & IPB said, I was only suggesting that you put some weight on the bar because an empty barbell squat looks MUCH different from a weighted squat. Another vid will be especially informative once you widen your stance (and your grip) and let the weight aid you in getting good depth at the bottom.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast