starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Cue Question

Default Squat Cue Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I dropped a couple videos on Monday, I haven't had a workout yet, Thursday I should have an update. I have been doing body weight squats and I have worked on getting my knees more forward to gain a bit more depth. The problem that arises is my back bends forward right in the middle when I hit the bottom of the squat, not my lower back, or my upper back, but where the two connect.

My question is, are there any good cues to keep this tight? I think my limiting factor is groin flexibility, because I feel a really intense pull at the bottom of my squats in that area, rather than in the hamstrings. Obviously I'll be working to stretch that area out.

My original post is here:
    http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=15691

Quote Originally Posted by jayknow05 View Post
    The problem that arises is my back bends forward right in the middle when I hit the bottom of the squat, not my lower back, or my upper back, but where the two connect.
    Not sure what you mean.

Maybe "chest up" is the cue you're looking for?

When is this breakdown at the midback occurring? Because it's not evident in either the deadlift or squat videos you posted in that other thread. If it's happening in your unweighted "air" squats that you've been doing for practice, I wouldn't worry about it, because the back usually tightens up better once you apply a little weight to them (provided that you're making an effort to "squeeze the chest up")--your unweighted and your weighted squats most likely won't look a whole lot alike.

-S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 03-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Also, in that squat video you look a little like Andy from the show The Office.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Also, in that squat video you look a little like Andy from the show The Office.

-S.
    Haha, that's cool with me, at least i look famous...

Where it bends is covered up by the plate mostly, and it happens when I break parallel so it's not really occuring in the videos I posted. It is a relatively new development since I'm tweaking my form a bit so I'm not even sure it was happening in those videos.

I'll try to get my workout buddy to get a little better angle, the dude is an aspiring director and he can't even film my squats right!

I'll record my sets tomorrow and post.

Yeah, don't worry about what your unweighted squats look like. Although I just watched your video from the other day, and I'd go a little further than the commenters there and say they're significantly high. Fix this first.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Yeah, don't worry about what your unweighted squats look like. Although I just watched your video from the other day, and I'd go a little further than the commenters there and say they're significantly high. Fix this first.
    Alright, I'm squating tomorrow, updates to follow. Thanks again.