starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Failed at this weight (215) and my take is I need to deload.

But what do I know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKd4q-SrSU

You need to slow down. Take a deep breath into your gut before each rep, getting things tight. Which could you squat more weight with: a rigid midsection made of steel, or a malleable one of aluminum? Hey, there's a cue.. try turning your gut into steel before each rep.

After inhaling, puff your chest out like you're trying to touch your sternum to the wall. This will likely help you with your tendency to good morning the bar (notice how the bar's path moves forwards during descent, and then backwards during ascent)

The buttwink featured is troublesome and can be caused by a variety of things. But just by setting your back and breathing correctly, it will probably be fixed.

Since your current form is pretty inefficient, don't be surprised if you can manage the same workset with an additional rep when you fix everything. Post another vid here when you get the chance.

Edit: And you might want to try keeping a neutral head position.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 03-18-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Your lumbar spine is in flexion and your knees come forward at the bottom of the squat. The reason you stall a few inches out of the bottom is that your hamstrings have the tension taken off of them. Rippetoe has an article on Active Hip that discusses these things. It may be of use to you as you work to correct these issues.

Default Thanks, but

Thanks for the tips, both of you have helpful comments. I read that article twice, and despite a college degree, I am apparently a functional moron. Prior to reading this, I would have assumed the inferior gemellus was a disease you caught in Thailand.

So--Shove my knees out. Check.

Bigger, stronger Valsalvas--check.

Slow down and quit staring at the red faced man in the f*ing mirror--check.

I see the butt wink but only on the heavier weight--I have tried the floor Supermans, but how do I get low enough and avoid it? I can feel when it's happening, but it seems like I either

1) buttwink, or
    2) don't go below parallel

I lift again tomorrow, and would like to retry this weight. Can I have some coaching tips on how to correct this issue?

Are you squeezing an arch into your spine?

Default Spine Arch

I am squeezing an arch, but getting to the bottom, it feels like decision time. I either keep descending and lose the arch, or stop slightly above parallel.

I've been trying to just shove my ass backwards and maintain the arch, but I feel it slip when I drop down the last 8 inches or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    I see the butt wink but only on the heavier weight--I have tried the floor Supermans, but how do I get low enough and avoid it? I can feel when it's happening, but it seems like I either

1) buttwink, or
    2) don't go below parallel

I lift again tomorrow, and would like to retry this weight. Can I have some coaching tips on how to correct this issue?
    Buttwink is not the end of the world. In fact, it is unavoidable. However, losing the arch in your lumbar spine is avoidable and necessary for a safe squatting career. You have plenty to think about already. As you squat, you are going to stretch out those tight hamstrings with a heavy weight on your back. Getting the knees out also solves this in the majority of people. Don't be afraid to stretch and use a foam roller, too.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Your lumbar spine is in flexion and your knees come forward at the bottom of the squat. The reason you stall a few inches out of the bottom is that your hamstrings have the tension taken off of them.
    This was the key piece of advice, thank you Tom. Deloaded 10%, worked on the form, and by 'sitting back' farther I never had a speed change nor did the GM effect occur. Knees felt better too.

Now to get back to PR's.