starting strength gym

Thread: Wait Till After Trip To Start Cycle?

Default Wait Till After Trip To Start Cycle?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    About to take a trip from the 23rd to the 28th. I really doubt I'm going to have access to a barbell and squat rack while I'm away. I was going to wait till I got back to start my SQ volume cycle, but I'd like to start a bit now. I wonder if the enforced week off is going to constitute too much rest time and if any results I get in the week before I leave will just dissipate.

Anyone have any idea?

Just fucking lift if you want to start now. You can always repeat the workout when you get back if you need to. Knowing you have 5 days off coming you can really push it man. All your gains will not disappear in a week.

I'm not saying you're doing this so don't take it the wrong way, this is a just a comment that came to mind... people always look for an excuse to get out of training. I have finals, my gym doesn't have "x" piece of equipment, it's raining outside, my program just isn't quite right, I'm waiting on my new pre-workout supplement to arrive... list goes on and on. Quit fucking thinking and lift already. Reminds me of those fridge magnets that say "I'll start my diet tomorrow."

Again, I'm not directing that comment at you Gary, I know that's not the case, just something I see a lot.

Gary is many things but a guy who finds excuses not to train, he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie_jrc View Post
    Gary is many things but a guy who finds excuses not to train, he is not.
    That's exactly why I qualified my statement... twice. This was not directed at anybody in particular, just a thought that came to my mind while typing my post, I'm sure Gary is not going to take offense.

No, I actually chuckled softly when I read it. I'd just put on my squat shoes and was headed out the door when I refreshed the screen and saw the post.

I usually have to talk myself into taking the requisite rest days. This stuff is quite addictive.

Thing about that is you actually get stronger during proper recovery......not actually while you're lifting. Eliminate half of the equation and you're just screwing yourself. Metal Militia I believe, take a week off a month and it works for them....Jack Reape says a week of deload a month as well, which can be done without a barbell.... Stronger means greater capacity for work, but also a deeper well to empty, and subsequently refill.....

Enjoy your trip and forget about it for a while...... it'll do you and your training some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Anyone have any idea?
    Personally, I'd use that as an opportunity to fuck around with new exercises I've been wanting to try but haven't been able to fit into my program. Do some stuff that's enjoyable but perhaps not optimal. But I'm only squatting 280.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    Thing about that is you actually get stronger during proper recovery......not actually while you're lifting. Eliminate half of the equation and you're just screwing yourself. Metal Militia I believe, take a week off a month and it works for them....Jack Reape says a week of deload a month as well, which can be done without a barbell.... Stronger means greater capacity for work, but also a deeper well to empty, and subsequently refill.....

Enjoy your trip and forget about it for a while...... it'll do you and your training some good.
    I am still amazed by how true this is. Every time I peak after several months of cycles on the squat, I have to relearn what it means to back off. Like right now, I can come nowhere near to squatting 400 lbs or more. I'll eventually work up to over 500 lbs I'm sure, but right now I'm at least 10% below the highs I hit at the end of the last cycle and would likely struggle with 365-385.

I decided to push my bench linear progression and kick start the high volume/low intensity squat to spur some growth. I'll capitalize on the stimulus by resting and feasting on Argentinian beef for five days.