starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and PC form check

Default Squat and PC form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey gang,

I was wondering if you mind critiquing my squat and power clean forms.

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7orKAKH2k7o

You might be wondering why I'm posting a light squat for a form check. I'm more concerned about my ability to harness the bounce out of the bottom and if my depth is too excessive. My first set lacks bounce, while my second is my attempt to focus on getting that bounce.

Power Clean:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN4vLb7fGno

These, on the other hand, are pure ass. My racking is too slow and my explosion seems muted. I'm also concerned that my starting is off. The video since it contains all 5 sets of my cleans, so feel free to skip around. However, you'll enjoy the last set if you like to browse Jcalvin's gym thread. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Hey MC,

In regards to the power clean, you're not getting full extension during the jump IMO: specifically, watch your hips as you jump and notice that they never fully open. You should, intead, look like the middle figure here (ignore the idiot depicted on the far left):

-S.

Last edited by nisora33; 03-18-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Hey MC,

In regards to the power clean, you're not getting full extension during the jump IMO
    This. I am not certain you're getting the effect of the 2nd pull at all- all your power and inertia seems to be generated between the floor and the jumping position.

If you try to watch your clean in slow-mo, you will see your elbows bending well before your hips ever extend. It's almost like you're anticipating the rack and trying to help with a curl.

You might try warming up to your working weight with hang cleans and really focusing on the explosion/jump/extention. You will know when you really nail one because it will seem so damn easy. It will be an instant 20 pounds on your clean if you can nail it down, IMO.

Thanks

I was wondering if you mind critiquing my squat and power clean forms.

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7orKAKH2k7o

You might be wondering why I'm posting a light squat for a form check. I'm more concerned about my ability to harness the bounce out of the bottom and if my depth is too excessive. My first set lacks bounce, while my second is my attempt to focus on getting that bounce.
    I'm afraid your squat video won't really allow for much analysis.

Is it the angle or the rack obscuring the view?

Hi Mr. City,

I had exactly the same problem on the clean, and Stacey used more or less the same words to point it out to me. One cue that helped me was to think about putting my head through the ceiling.
    I basically start my first pull thinking "I got to punch a hole in the ceiling with my head".

I also think your elbows are too low when you rack the bar, almost pointing down to the floor. It's not your biggest problem, but I think it might be worth to start thinking about banging them up really hard every time.

Just my 2c, of course.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Is it the angle or the rack obscuring the view?
    Both. Here's a good starting point for squat videos:

• Camera held around hip height
    • Far enough back so that head and feet are in the frame the entire time
    • On a 45 degree angle from the lifter so that the plates aren't in the way, but you can see all of the relevant angles.

I realize this isn't always possible, but something like that is a lot easier to deal with.