starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of the back pad on my bar?

Default Get rid of the back pad on my bar?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The Olympic bar that I use for all my lifts has a black back pad on it. From the squat Starting Strength DVD I can see that a pad in not used and it is only the metal bar.

Since the pad has no real effect for my deadlifts, press, bench and back rows would it be a good idea to cut off the pad?

Or would it be something I would regret later?

Cut it off? Aren't these things normally velcro? I'm just curious how this is not the case.

Most anyone around this forum will tell you to take it off, yes. As you identified there really is not use in any of the lifts you mentioned. The typical purpose it serves is to make the bar more comfortable for squatting. However, the proper position (I have the books, not the DVD, but I assume it's in there) is more important than a pad. A little chalk, and you're set.

Will you regret cutting the pad off? I don't think you'll want one, but if you are really concerned, here's some peace of minid: you can probably order a velcro one that will fit just fine.

Yes - cut it off.
    then throw it away.

now wait for the barrage of insults for having it in the first place.

a.k.a. "The Puss Pad"

It makes low bar squatting impossible, and makes high bar squatting into even more of a leg press by forcing your torso to stay vertical. Your posterior deltoids will eventually grow into meaty pads by themselves through pressing and low bar squatting.

lol, guess Im taking it off - dont wanna use something with the nickname "puss pad"

MilkEnth - Its a foam pad thats wrapped around the center of the bar, it cant be removed without cutting through it.

Ryan Long Guest

Cut the pad off. If that ruins the bar then buy a new bar. A bar with a pad on it is near worthless, it introduces unpredictable and inconsistent imbalance to the system and will slow your strength gains.

Bottom line, you need cold hard iron on your back.

Weird, never seen a bar with a pad permanently affixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    It makes low bar squatting impossible, and makes high bar squatting into even more of a leg press by forcing your torso to stay vertical. Your posterior deltoids will eventually grow into meaty pads by themselves through pressing and low bar squatting.
    Isnt the goal of a high bar squat to keep your torso fairly vertical?

starting strength coach development program
    Another "cool" name: Maxi pad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast