starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting and PPST-Advanced Novice

Default Intermittent Fasting and PPST-Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been thinking about the feedback I've gotten form you guys and I've decided to, yet again, rework my program.

Mon: REST

Tue: FAST

Wed: 3x5 Low-Bar-Squat; 3x5 Bench/Overhead Press; 3xF Chin-Ups; 30 Min Row (3x2000 3 min rest)

Thu: Rest Day

Fri: 90% 3x3 High-Bar-Squat; 3x5 Bench/Overhead Press; 1x5 Deadlift; 30 Min Treadmill (Continuous)

Sat: FAST

Sun: 3x5 Low-Bar-Squat; 3x5 Bench/Overhead Press; 3xF Pull-Ups; 30 Min Row (6x1000 2 min Rest)

For weight increases on on the bar, I'm continuing linear progression on my upper body lifts. For squat, I'm increasing the weight on Sunday only.

Fasting sucks, but it has worked for me in the past and saves me time. On my feeding days, I'm going to be strict on my calorie intake. The milk is easy to control, however lunch and dinner are going to be a little tricky.

1. 550 Breakfast: Oatmeal, Milk, Sugar, Raisin ± Banana

2. 750 Lunch: Complex Carb + Lean Protein + Fibrous Veggie

3. 350 Snack: Chocolate Milk

4. 750 Dinner: Complex Carb + Lean Protein + Fibrous Veggie.)

5. 350 Snack: Chocolate Milk

6. Essential Fatty Acid (Before Bed)

Total Calories 2750

On fasting days, I remove meals 1-3. That is 1650 calories twice a week (3300 every week). I also drink 8 oz. of water before every meal to control calories and also help with recovery. Lastly, I allow for 9 hrs of sleep, every day.

Things may change as I read up on this guy Leangains.com. He successfully gains muscle mass while maintaining 5.5% body fat. He uses a different form of intermittent fasting. I like it because it's backed by results and not some one's theories.

My main concern with this diet is recovery from the squats. I'm considering doing texas method for squats. I could actually stand to do texas methods for my upper body lifts as well since I am not making linear gains on them anyway. My apprehension comes form knowing that I can make linear gains if I increase my caloric intake.

I'm not sure what your goals are, but I like the leangains.com approach. I feel so much better eating like that rather than eating every 3 hours. Eating frequently made my tired all the time and hungry, not satisfied. I have much more energy on the leangains plan, and I can eat a ton of food, when it counts. Plus I never have an appetite in the morning, so the plan works great for not eating breakfast. I have my feeding window from about 9AM to 6PM (I go nine hours cause it works better for me), I train at 11AM. Except Fridays, when I train in the evening, I extend my feeding window to bedtime.

i am doing IF & closer to what martin suggests, although i've really dumbed it down to just 2 meals/day within a 6-8hr period (so 16-18 hours fast every day). martin's results & those of his clients are amazing. i've only been doing this for 5+ weeks, but i've lost ~10lbs so far (so good). obviously 5 weeks is not long enough for long-term results. once i start to plateau i'll try to follow his system more closely (maybe). i am also doing like you a bill starr type routine, where i squat/press/pull 3 days/week. martin does more of a lower frequency training routine, i may have to switch to this if recovery becomes an issue down the road.

i agree with everything jason b said.

you mention the texas method, which may work perfect for you, but for me, being 35 & lack of sleep, i don't think i could squat 5x5 across with a calorie-reduced diet.

Cool, its good to see other people doing IF with some results. I'm looked at the nutritional density of my current approach and I've decided to take out the chocolate milk and just use milk. It's crazy but one serving of the cocoa powder is almost equal to a cup of milk. If you think about it that way, it means that you could get a whole cup of nutrition or a couple tablespoons of sugar flavoring. Easy decision there.

I'm reading through all the old post on Leangains.com I haven't quite figured out his whole deal yet. It interesting that he does recommend Eat Stop Eat.

As for my goal, I want to get to </= 10% body fat. At the same time I want to retain my muscle mass and increase my strength.

Good luck to you guys on your goals.

hopefully he will release finish/release his book soon. it may be worth contacting him in the meantime, although i think i've read he may not be taking any more clients now as his plate is full??? not sure if that's true. he certainly gets his clients down to low bodyfats (your goal). have you seen the before/afters?

his: http://leangains.blogspot.com/2007/1...-that-was.html

clients: http://leangains.blogspot.com/search...ient%20results

this form of eating is very liberating. i am not counting any calories at all yet, however, eventually i will probably have to do some daily cycling like martin recommends. if you are sick of counting, it might be worth a try, you can even still have your chocolate milk from time to time.

essentially, you would just do your 2 fast days every day, but eat some more at those 2 meals as 1100 cals ain't very much (if you are doing this every day).

have you read the fast 5 book? i thought that was pretty good too. http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

This leangains site has got me interested. Anyone else had success with it? Im looking to cut some fat once my linear progression is done, so ill be learning all I can about it untill then.

Quote Originally Posted by ILiftAlone View Post
    This leangains site has got me interested. Anyone else had success with it? Im looking to cut some fat once my linear progression is done, so ill be learning all I can about it untill then.
    I started doing it (leangains approach) because it fit my schedule last semester. I also HATE getting up early enough to make breakfast, so with this I was able to get up as late as possible for class, eat my first meal at lunch, eat my second after my last class, and my third before 8 PM.

I was really worried about being able to cram my 3500+ calories (including GOMAD) into that amount of time. I found that even though I wasn't EVER hungry after my first meal, I could still eat without any issues. In fact, it was so easy (after learning to eat even though I wasn't hungry), that I thought about cutting an extra hour off of the feeding window. I recall getting the impression that increasing the length of the fast is not bad at all, but he just picked the 16/8 split because it worked well for most people.

My schedule this semester has made it a bit more challenging, but I can probably work something out if I try hard enough. Hoping to get both my low carb/high fat diet going with the leangains style IF. I predict it will work out very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    I started doing it (leangains approach) because it fit my schedule last semester. I also HATE getting up early enough to make breakfast, so with this I was able to get up as late as possible for class, eat my first meal at lunch, eat my second after my last class, and my third before 8 PM.

I was really worried about being able to cram my 3500+ calories (including GOMAD) into that amount of time. I found that even though I wasn't EVER hungry after my first meal, I could still eat without any issues. In fact, it was so easy (after learning to eat even though I wasn't hungry), that I thought about cutting an extra hour off of the feeding window. I recall getting the impression that increasing the length of the fast is not bad at all, but he just picked the 16/8 split because it worked well for most people.

My schedule this semester has made it a bit more challenging, but I can probably work something out if I try hard enough. Hoping to get both my low carb/high fat diet going with the leangains style IF. I predict it will work out very nicely.
    So you stay on the diet while making gains as well? did you notice your gains slow down at all? Did your gains increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Namo4184 View Post
    So you stay on the diet while making gains as well? did you notice your gains slow down at all? Did your gains increase?
    My diet/workout regime was too uncontrolled to tell. I was still eating a caloric excess, so my gains wouldn't have slowed down, at least not noticeably. I did it mainly for convenience, because I couldn't really tell whether it helped or hurt the amount of fat I gained while doing GOMAD.

I also wasn't following his "diet", just his fasting/feeding split.

starting strength coach development program
    Im glad to hear youve had success with it. I may be giving this a try soon.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast