http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRUhtRC0U70
    Son Squats 200lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkpIZKX7bOw
    Son Dead lifts 185lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0hqeAI4yWk
    Dad Dead lifts 265lbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInzBLCLHmY
    Dad Squats 240lbs

Let me know if there's anything I should be telling my son (besides, "find a real coach"). lol
    On my deadlifts I'm breathing at the top which is probably not ideal. If there's anything decent about these lifts... thanks goes to Rip!

hard to tell on the squats but you both seem to be letting your knees track forward instead of out. especially your son. it seems like his feet are pointed mostly straight ahead.

his deadlift setup is lacking in "chest up" and yours has low hips, which rise before the bar breaks.

Some solid lifting.

Based on what I can see... some of this you may be doing already.

SON SQUAT:
    1) head and eyes need to be oriented downwards
    2) tighten the upper back by raising the elbows
    3) take a deep breath and hold throughout lift

SON DEADLIFT:
    1) take a breath and hold throughout lift
    2) use lats to pull bar towards body
    3) set up with hips higher
    4) maintain flat back throughout lift
    5) keep eyes and head oriented downwards

DAD SQUAT:
    1) just remember to keep the breath in and push against your belt
    2) orient head and eyes downwards

DAD DEADLIFT:
    1) start with hips much higher
    2) don't bend your arms
    3) use lats to pull bar in
    4) deep breath at beginning of lift and hold it
    5) maintain flat back

Cheers! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by milesdyson View Post
    hard to tell on the squats but you both seem to be letting your knees track forward instead of out. especially your son. it seems like his feet are pointed mostly straight ahead.

his deadlift setup is lacking in "chest up" and yours has low hips, which rise before the bar breaks.
    Thanks. I keep reminding him about the knees and it looks like I need that too. We used to stand a board up in front of our toes for every squat, probably need to get back to that.
    I don't have an experienced enough eye to catch everything. What an awesome forum.
    I'm away from home until later this summer so I'm going to try to talk him into getting onto this forum and posting videos.

Quote Originally Posted by damonwells View Post
    Some solid lifting.
    Thanks, all good points.

Your son is doing something of a hybrid squat - bar low on the back, but essentially following high bar mechanics. He is too upright and not driving with his hips. You have better low bar form, with the exception of your knees sliding forward at the bottom.

Your son does not set his back before each deadlift. His lumbar spine is in mild flexion throughout the movement. Squeeze the chest up while keeping the hips in place. This will extend the lumbar spine and be uncomfortable. The hamstrings will probably be under a good deal of tension prior to the pull. You need to do the same with the previously mentioned addition of starting with your hips higher. If you have SS, review the section on the deadlift setup. It has a really good step by step procedure to ensure a good pull off the floor. I wish you and your son lots of good lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks TomC. I'm far away from home now, so I really appreciate this forum, but I don't have SS here with me now. I think I remember what you are talking about though on the deadlift setup.

I've told my son to grab the 2x6 board we were using to put in front of our feet to keep his knees from going to far forward for squats... I'll have to see what I can do once I get settled in. It seems like this might help correct his too-upright back angle problem as well since his hips will have to go farther back.

I'm literally trapped in a hotel right now... missed a flight and they won't let me leave the airport hotel until the next flight (two days).