starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing my DL form

Default Fixing my DL form

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After I finally got around to taking some video a couple months ago, I discovered that my DL form was absolutely awful and I've been on a quest to fix it before I injure myself. My main problem was that I was raising my hips before the bar even left the floor, resulting in a rounded lower back, or essentially a badly formed SLDL. I've dropped the weight way back and I'd appreciate feedback on my progress.

5x225

It seems like maybe my back is still lagging behind my hips by a little bit, but my back angle doesn't seem to change that much as my knee angle opens up like it used to, so I think that it's somewhat better than before. I've really been struggling with my DL form for a while and I think I've tried all the usual cues so I'm not sure what else to do from here.

89 views and no replies? Am I doing something wrong or violating a forum rule that I've overlooked?

Better no replies than a bunch of crap...

Your form looks pretty good actually. Some loss of back tightness on the latter reps. Your hips are rising faster than your shoulders, but it doesn't look like a strength issue, you just need to concentrate on that more. Try starting with your hips a little higher. This will feel uncomfortable for a while, but it keeps you tighter.

Can't see this, but make sure you take a huge breath and hold it. Also, a belt will help.

Looks pretty ok to me. You do have a tendency to let your hips come up first, but it is pretty slight imo. There are a lot of cues that work for fixing this, and a little searching and effort will fix it pretty easily. For me, concentrating on "sitting back" into the lift early has helped correct what was a much bigger issue than you have currently.

Your scapulas are slightly forward of the bar. If you look at the initial part of the lift, you can see the bar go backwards (towards you) instead of straight up.

First rep your hips came up well before your knee angle extended. Visualize the first part of the dead a knee angle extension, then a hip angle extension. It is one fluid movement, but it begins by extending the knees.

How are your shins feeling? I did not see any shin rubs, deadlift kisses, etc... This indicates your shins and the bar are not touching. The bars most efficient path is vertical, rubbing the shins creates a more vertical path, wear pants!

Thank you all for the tips. I'll keep working on it and post another video soon.

Ok, here's my latest effort. I tried to really focus on keeping the bar close to my shins, maintaining a neutral neck position, and not raising my hips before my shoulders. I had mixed results.

5x225

5x245

I think that I had some really solid reps at 225. Form started to break down at 245 and my hips were trying to sneak back to their old ways. Is my back rounding too much at 245? I'm finding that as I add weight, I start to have a harder time maintaining my form because I think more about just getting the weight off the ground and not as much about all the cues that are running through my head.

I only took a look at the 245 and first of all, is the chest puffing at the start necessary? Anyways as you said yourself you have a tiny bit of back rounding that gets worse as the set goes on (but then again i have the same problem). And it might just be me, but you seem a bit too over the bar. The bar seems to over the bottom of your scapulas. Maybe pull back slightly. But that's just my opinion and i'd like to see what the other guys say

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post

5x225

5x245

I think that I had some really solid reps at 225. Form started to break down at 245 and my hips were trying to sneak back to their old ways.
    Next time, think about pushing the floor away from you with your feet. Sometimes does the trick.

-S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast