starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relative Weight of Lifts

Default Relative Weight of Lifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

So I've been on the program for 20 workouts now (roughly 1 1/2 months) and my squat is either lagging or my press and bench are way ahead. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm currently pressing #120 for sets, benching #155, and easily deadlifting #250 (definitely haven't slowed down on dead progression yet) but it's all I can do to squat #210.

I see guys in the forum Squatting #315 who are struggling with my press weight, and admittedly I historically have done plenty of pushups and situps and basically zero leg work, but my squat progression is slowing down as much as either bench or press are, which seems weird. If my wimpy legs were behind I'd expect to stall on squat much later.

I've been 'full grown man' in the cheesy 70sBig parlance people use around here for a long time (that 70s big stuff is so much lamer than the SS program itself, makes me cringe, but whatever, that's their marketing), 5' 11' and 190-205 for many years.

How much weight have you gained over the 20 workouts?

Some people can get away without doing the eating part of the program for the first month or two, but once the weights start getting bigger, you will need to get bigger as well to be able to move them.

Or you can accept a slower rate of strength increase and stay ~200 lbs.

-bowdirk

Your bench is low relative to your press, too. Have you gained much weight, and are you still taking 5 pound jumps on the squat? How are your cleans?

Anyway, don't put too much stock in the current ratios, though your squats should still be going up 5#/workout for a while and your assorted presses will start going up only 2.5#. If your squats stop going up, make sure you're eating enough or have your form nailed down.

I won't embarrass myself by telling you how long it took me to get to a 210lb squat (hey I'm only doing 265x5 right now). That whole posterior chain thing meant nothing to my small mind (huh, wat mussels?). I had done a lot of pushups and chinups and the like so my presses started out higher as well. Sounds like your presses might have also benefited from your previous habits.

I'm not an expert here yet so I don't have a lot of specific advice... but eat, check form problems, sleep, don't miss workouts are the standard answers you'll get around here.
    I was also 45 when I started, so that's my official excuse.

Quick replies

No Cleans at all--doing PP Novice Program (Squat, Press/Bench, Chinup/Deadlift/Pullup).

Weight--I dropped to 183 from 205, had a 'not enough food' stall, and am back to 197ish 3 weeks later. I started out trying to get 'in shape' vaguely and began SS a few weeks into my weight loss. Dropped the weight loss when it started hurting my strength gains.

So, up 14 pounds in 3 weeks. Up maybe 2 pounds since starting the program 7 weeks ago.

Still adding 5# on the squat but I just recently reset 10% when 215 crushed me and turned my form to shit. Went back to 195, then 205, back to 210 on Saturday.

Did you get crushed once or multiple times with 215? Either way, the answer then is simple math: retrogression at some point within 20 workouts on the squat, no retrogression on other exercises means squat will be low. Anyway. How high did you start on the squat?

Depending on your answers, the reason is you either started to high on the squat and got crushed for your arrogance or you gave up too soon on 215. Either way, don't worry, your squat will keep going up at 5#/workout if you eat well and squat right while your presses will slow down.

J,
    Do you think your stall is due to recovery or technique?

I'm just going to go out on a limb and suppose the worst and say that its both.

In the case of recovery, 1000 more calories should help...and an increase in beef/pork/chicken intake. May just another quart of milk or so. Try to get to 220lbs.

In the case of technique, there are a bunch of things that could help:
    1. Get a form check on the board or get in touch with a coach that could help you one-on-one.
    2. Read the squat chapter of SSBT over and over and over again. Study it like you needed to know the page numbers by memory.
    3. Get the proper equipment: loose training clothes, appropriate belt, proper footwear, etc.
    4. Practice: Use your warm ups to practice the movement pattern. Do fives all the way up with perfect form. At this point, you should be able to get away with not titrating the reps down for the warmup.

also try alternating deadlifts with some other pull [I know you said you don't do powercleans]. You could probably get more strength in your deadlift which would translate to a stronger "core" (I hate that word). Having a stonger "core" will help you in your squatting endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Did you get crushed once or multiple times with 215? Either way, the answer then is simple math: retrogression at some point within 20 workouts on the squat, no retrogression on other exercises means squat will be low. Anyway. How high did you start on the squat?

Depending on your answers, the reason is you either started to high on the squat and got crushed for your arrogance or you gave up too soon on 215. Either way, don't worry, your squat will keep going up at 5#/workout if you eat well and squat right while your presses will slow down.
    I started the squat at a monstrous #115--so, 100 pounds over 5 weeks. My arrogance is legendary but not in the realm of working out, maybe I gave up too soon, but the buttwink and Good Morning action in my squat were in need of correction.

I did one other mini-reset on all lifts after my 'eating like a fairy,' failure. Now I am sick with so much food, and drinking milk while I type. As I said, up 14 pounds in 3 weeks.

Just sets of 5 all the way up through the warmup? Interesting idea, I'll give it a go on my weekend lift day when I have more time.

Maybe I should just man up and drop PP Novice and go to the SS workout.
    Fucking Power cleans.

Thanks gents.

starting strength coach development program
    It's very possible that a form issue is slowing you down and a video would help to determine if that is the case. You should be able to squat a little more than bodyweight with relative ease, but as you said, working the lower body is somewhat new to you. It may just take some time. If you don't have a coach nearby, progress will probably come more slowly because you have to overcome the hurdles alone. Your deadlift is still pretty low, and your squat is not out of line with your dead numbers, so I would bet that you just need to keep working as best as you can and keep adding weight to the bar as you can manage it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast